Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First experiences with new Arca Swiss F-Line Field

First experiences with new Arca Swiss F-Line Field

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the responses, sounds like there is an issue with the camera, I'm going to contact Robert White tomorrow and hopefully sort this out, my main conern is not being able to set tilt or rise with any accuracy.

Just a few questions on the back -

1. There appear to be 2 levers on either side of the screen which can be pushed in or out, they seem to clamp inwards, what is the purpose of these? I imagine to hold a film back in but the back is so tight it does not seem necessary or are they for an accessory attachment such as a viewer?

2. Which way in does a film holder go it does it not matter? I have seen pictures of backs inserted in both sides?

3. The small pointy spring loaded thing appears to hold the screen in, is that right?

4. Back orientation - Once the thumbwheel is turned the top pops out and then I seem to have to pivot the back down at an angle until about 75 degrees and then it can be pulled out. Putting the back back on appears much trickier as I have to feed the back into the lip at the bottom and then push down quite hard until it clicks twice, is that the process or is there another method?

Thanks

Julian

Hi Julian,
    I am not certain about those levers you mention. I am guessing that they are a part of the spring-back assembly. Guessing, that is! As far as I'm aware, the film holder should be inserted only one way. That is, from the side opposite to the "pointy spring-loaded thing" that you mention in point 3. If you look carefully, there is a low ridge present underneath the "pointy spring-loaded thing". This ridge stops the film holder as you push it in from the opposite side. The spring loaded pin acts as a safety device to prevent the ground-glass from slipping out if the retaining screws and plate are compromised. Yes, you have to remove and replace the back at an angle. On my model, it's closer to 30 degrees tilt rather than the 75 you mention. I have never found it necessary to push hard to insert the back. Hope this helps. Rory

Hi Rory,

Thanks for this, loading the holder in the side opposite the spring loaded pin is backed up by the pics of Tom Westbrook's Arca

http://www.tomwestbrook.com/Photography/as_photos.html

Although I have seen one other picture where the holder was loaded at the opposite side.

Julian

1. 2 levers on either side of the screen: I don;t know either

2. Which way in does a film holder go it does it not matter? I t doesn't matter - you can orient the back so the film hilder can be insterted form any direction.

3. The small pointy spring loaded thing appears to hold the screen in, is that right? THis holds the ground glass protector in place (don;t know if you got one - I got mine From A-S at the View Camera conferecne last year).

4. Back orientation: I only have to pull the back away about 5 degrees to pull the back away. Putting tha back on requires a small amount of precision but not nealry what you describe. My experience is totally different than what you decsribe.

It's hard to believe that you and I have the same camera...

Sorry for all the typos in my last response...

1. There appear to be 2 levers on either side of the screen which can be pushed in or out, they seem to clamp inwards, what is the purpose of these? I imagine to hold a film back in but the back is so tight it does not seem necessary or are they for an accessory attachment such as a viewer?

This sounds like the Grafloc sliders designed to hold a roll film back in place when the ground glass is removed. If this is what you are referring to by "2 levers on either side of the screen", they are a common feature on many 4x5 cameras and not unique to the ARCA-SWISS.

Kerry

While the small pointy thing can hold a screen protector, its primary purpose is to hold the frame fo the binocular reflex viewer or the frame for the focusing bellows.

Glenn

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses on the back, I think I have all my questions answered now although just a page of text from Arca shipped with the camera would have saved all the questions!

BTW the camera is back with Robert White now, they asked me to send it back to them for examination re the stiffness issues.

Julian

Re: First experiences with new Arca Swiss F-Line Field

Hi Julian,

I was wondering how things worked out with your camera? My new F-field 4x5 arrived today and it is amazing. I hope you get back a unit that works more as it should.

Cheers,
    Norm.

Re: First experiences with new Arca Swiss F-Line Field

Just to make clear Arca Swiss is not a product from Switzerland anymore, the company is in France since about 6 years!
    The Boss is still Swiss but I do not know how many of the old workers are still there!