Thread: Symmar 300mm f5.6 in Compur electronic shutter

Symmar 300mm f5.6 in Compur electronic shutter

Hello,

I have a Symmar 300mm f5.6 mounted in a Compur electronic shutter. I love this lens as it is impossibly sharp and draws beautifully for portraits.

I am wondering if it is possible to transpose in into another, mechanical size 3 shutter?

Re: Symmar 300mm f5.6 in Compur electronic shutter

The Symmar 300mm f/5.6 was originally fitted to a Compound 3. Most likely the Compur Electronic you have was given the threads of the compound shutter in order to fit it.

That was the case with mine. So it likely won't fit into a regular mechnical Copal or Compur 3.

Thanks MAubrey, I guessed that this might be the case given that these lenses are such a deal.

B

Is the Electronic #3 shutter working. I have several and they all work fine providing you keep the battery terminals clean and have the proper battery of 4.5V.

Try to get the electronic shutter working, they are great to work with- they can do things like electronically time greater than 1 second exposure etc, and are more consistent than a mechanical shutter.

Quote Originally Posted by linhofbiker View Post
    Is the Electronic #3 shutter working. I have several and they all work fine providing you keep the battery terminals clean and have the proper battery of 4.5V.
    Hey, I just scrubbed the terminals with some steel wool and it's working like a charm now. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by barbard View Post
    Hey, I just scrubbed the terminals with some steel wool and it's working like a charm now. Thanks.
    I had several that worked intermittently, and, just as you found out you just have to make sure the contacts are clean and shiny. The electronics are simple as the 1960's state of the art used resistors and capacitors not transistors. And as you know, without a battery the shutter will operate at its highest mechanical speed of 1/200 or 1/500 on the #1 shutter. As previously stated these shutters are accurate at speeds below maximum, much more reliable than the fully mechanical shutters that have to be CLA often. I never did understand why these shutters are avoided by so many photographers and repair persons.

I had several that worked intermittently, and, just as you found out you just have to make sure the contacts are clean and shiny. The electronics are simple as the 1960's state of the art used resistors and capacitors not transistors. And as you know, without a battery the shutter will operate at its highest mechanical speed of 1/200 or 1/500 on the #1 shutter. As previously stated these shutters are accurate at speeds below maximum, much more reliable than the fully mechanical shutters that have to be CLA often. I never did understand why these shutters are avoided by so many photographers and repair persons.
    For sure!

One for an Angulon 165mm and one for an Angulon 210mm.

They're excellent.

I never did understand why these shutters are avoided by so many photographers and repair persons.
    From the late 1970s through the mid 1990s, I used an ILEX No. 4 SYNCRO ELECTRONIC shutter along with its ILEX "Speedcomputer" actuator on a Polaroid MP-4 copy camera hundreds of times per week. It failed exactly ZERO times. I've also used a Compur electronic shutter many times over the years with also ZERO failures. I also wonder why photographers and repair people seem to turn their noses down on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    From the late 1970s through the mid 1990s, I used an ILEX No. 4 SYNCRO ELECTRONIC shutter along with its ILEX "Speedcomputer" actuator on a Polaroid MP-4 copy camera hundreds of times per week. It failed exactly ZERO times. I've also used a Compur electronic shutter many times over the years with also ZERO failures. I also wonder why photographers and repair people seem to turn their noses down on them.
    I think it's simply because shutter repair people have no idea how to fix them, mechanical experience does not translate to electronic experience. This left a bad taste in people's mouth as their favorite repair people turned their noses at them.