Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Schneider Angulon I Purchased - Is This a Problem?

Re: Schneider Angulon I Purchased - Is This a Problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Trying to judge a lens by it's physical appearance or "Linhof Select" is not ideal as the visuals can bias or predispose expectations for this specific lens.
    Do extensive testing on this specific sample, then decide.

Use a 165mm version of this lens in barrel on 5x7, it's been more than acceptable.

Bernice
    You make a good point — part of the reason I bought this particular one is that it looked clean in the photographs but as you say, that doesn't always mean good optical performance.

The 165mm Angulon has slight edge separation, optically made zilch difference.. been using this lens for years, absolutely acceptable results to date.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schneider Angulon 165mm sep,.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	229159

Simply not worth worry or concern long as the image results works for your needs. Keep in mind, the absolute "best" lens alone can never produce a creative/expressive image on it's own. Lenses and all related are mere tools and means to achieve your image making goals.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by stephenmcateer View Post
    You make a good point — part of the reason I bought this particular one is that it looked clean in the photographs but as you say, that doesn't always mean good optical performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    The 165mm Angulon has slight edge separation, optically made zilch difference.. been using this lens for years, absolutely acceptable results to date.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schneider Angulon 165mm sep,.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	229159

Simply not worth worry or concern long as the image results works for your needs. Keep in mind, the absolute "best" lens alone can never produce a creative/expressive image on it's own. Lenses and all related are mere tools and means to achieve your image making goals.

Bernice
    Thanks for the picture of your Angulon. Yes — cameras are just tools. [I do appreciate a nice camera though.]

Quote Originally Posted by stephenmcateer View Post
    Nice work.
    Thanks stephenmcateer!
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

I have a very late version of this lens, in a factory Copal, with a serial number in the 11's. It has a light colored very even ring around the front element at the very edge. works great.

Schneider wasn't using balsam on these.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    I have a very late version of this lens, in a factory Copal, with a serial number in the 11's. It has a light colored very even ring around the front element at the very edge. works great.

Schneider wasn't using balsam on these.
    Thanks Kevin. I received the lens an hour ago. The balsam problem actually doesn't look as bad as it did in the ad. Just waiting for a lens board for it now.

In case anyone's still following this thread - this lens arrived today. It's cosmetically pretty good considering how old it is. Glass is clean. Barrel is nice too.

Only problem seems to be that the shutter speed dial is pretty stiff to turn. Maybe it needs a CLA. [I also can't get the dial to go higher than 1/250 - anyone know if that's the upper limit of a Synchro Compur?]

Thanks to everyone who contributed on this thread.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

You might want to review this to determine which version of the shutter you have (I believe there are differing "eras" of Synchro Compur shutters with differing schemes for achieving the highest speed). Older shutters often had a booster spring for the highest speed, which always required additional effort to set. Sometimes it seems an unnatural amount of effort.

https://certo6.com/shutters/

Of even better... post a picture of what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    You might want to review this to determine which version of the shutter you have (I believe there are differing "eras" of Synchro Compur shutters with differing schemes for achieving the highest speed). Older shutters often had a booster spring for the highest speed, which always required additional effort to set. Sometimes it seems an unnatural amount of effort.

https://certo6.com/shutters/

Of even better... post a picture of what you have.
    Thanks Brian. That was an interesting page you linked to. As you say, the shutter dial does seem to want a lot of force to go beyond 1/250. The dial is also, as I said, very stiff to turn. I think it probably needs a CLA. Question is: how much will that cost and is it worth it for this particular lens? I'll report back later.

If the ring is stiff to turn you can take it apart and clean and lubricate it yourself.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com