Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Enlarger Baseboard Replacement?

Enlarger Baseboard Replacement?

While I like MDF for many things, and have build stuff with it, I would not use it for an enlarger base board.

MDF is heavy, but it has very little shear strength. Also, unless you're inserting a fastener through MDF into hardwood or a threaded fitting, conventional wood screws will not hold over time. You need special screws to hold. If you've ever assembled a piece of knock-down furniture, you'll recognize them. Your local hardware may not have them. Try McFeely's -- they have a web site and a very helpful customer service department.

My 2 cents worth is to buy a piece of Baltic Birch plywood. It isn't cheap -- expect to pay double what you'd pay for a sheet of US made AB plywood (grade A on one side, and B on the other), and it comes in 5ft x 5ft, rather than 4ft x 8 ft sheets. Cut two pieces, and join them with wood screws and construction adhesive to give you one piece which is about 1.5 inch thick (not exactly, because the Baltic Birch is metric, and a nominally 3/4 inch piece is actually 19 mm). Laminate both sides (you can get a cover laminate which is a dull grey for the bottom, and whatever you wish for the top). Don't forget rubber feet for the bottom.

As with all plywoods, the plys in Baltic Birch alternate grain direction, giving the product better strength to weight properties and less expansion that you would find in a solid piece of wood of the same dimension. The advantage of Baltic Birch over conventional plywood is that it has more plies per inch of thickness than US plywood. Hence, for things that have to take a lot of stress, such as stools, bookcases, and avante-garde furniture, it's a better material.

Good shooting, and be careful in the shop. Wear saftey glasses, be careful with power tools, be VERY careful with laminate adhesive, and "Measure twice, cut once."

/s/ David
    David Beal
    Memories Preserved Photography, LLC
    "Making tomorrow's memories by
    capturing today's happiness" (R)

Lee Smathers

Re: Enlarger Baseboard Replacement?

I'm resurrecting this old thread.

I'm looking to have a custom baseboard cut out of MDF for an Omega D5 XL enlarger. Any warnings or advice before I have an 80x80 cm (31.5 inch x 31.5 inch) and 3 cm (1.18 inch) thick MDF custom baseboard cut? The last post by David makes me hesitate a bit.

I don't think you'll need to worry about shear strength with 1.18" thick MDF, unless you've got some cast iron lamp housing
    There is also 1" thick plywood that you can also consider, not sure if that's available in S Korea. In either choice
    you should have the base board drilled out to accept tee nuts to mount the base of the column rather than screwing directly into the
    MDF or plywood.
    I think the column support base uses 1/4 - 20 screws.

Lee Smathers

Tee nuts. Now, there's an idea. I've never heard of those before. The baseplate mounting flange is round. There are three base clamps that hold secure the column in place and one screw that goes in the center. I guess it would be ideal to have 8 tee nuts, four on either side of the baseboard?

The sample image is from the auction site for illustration purposes only. I need to get some screws that match the tee nut size. The screw and tee nuts might be in millimeters. I hope I can find some!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_12.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	117433

Also, I have a wall mount casting, and you use a bench under it...

Quote Originally Posted by photoevangelist View Post
    I'm resurrecting this old thread.

I'm looking to have a custom baseboard cut out of MDF for an Omega D5 XL enlarger...(1.18 inch) thick
    The original is 1.5" thick. You may have trouble with a thinner board. If that is the only thickness that is available where you live, consider attaching the top of the column to the wall if possible.

New ones are available in the USA, but I can see shipping might be an issues.

Lee Smathers

How thick is the original baseboard? My Zone VI enlarger (60 inch chassis) has a 2.2 cm (3/4 inch?) baseboard. I'd say the Omega D5 XL is probably about the same weight or just a tad more with the condenser. Shouldn't a 3 cm (1.18 inch) be enough to support it? I can see if there are other thicker options.

Lee Smathers

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Also, I have a wall mount casting, and you use a bench under it...
    I considered this option, but I think the custom made baseboard will end up being cheaper.

MDF is for Medium Density! Not really good for screw your enlarger base onto.
    High density HDF exist and different thinkness but I think you should chose the cheaper top, already with an easy to clean finish like melamine or Arborite on plywood and screw this top on a hard wood frame.
    The enlarger foot will be bolted to the solid wood frame with regular bolts or with 4-prog T-Nuts (fixed from under the wood frame).
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com

You pay shipping it's yours.

Let me get it out and make sure it's right for your enlarger, but I think this thing fits most Omegas.

Quote Originally Posted by photoevangelist View Post
    I considered this option, but I think the custom made baseboard will end up being cheaper.