Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: DeVere 504 questions

Re: DeVere 504 questions

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    One is a dichroic head and the other variable contrast (sooo nice)..
    How do you find the dichroic for B&W printing? Is the only issue is that contrast grade does not go up as high as variable contrast head? That's what was said in this thread somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by kfed1984 View Post
    How do you find the dichroic for B&W printing?
    It's absolutely fine for the job - the problem is there's a fair bit of contradictory information out there. And it isn't difficult to get a G5 filter to where you need it, if you really need it.

From what I recall, the filters in the colour & De Vere VC (as opposed to Ilford MG500) heads are identical, it's just that they are separately controlled in the colour and geared together in the VC to give constant density. To be absolutely honest, I cannot say that I have found a De Vere colour head to be any hindrance to B&W printing, even when needing to jump around in grades.

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    It's absolutely fine for the job - the problem is there's a fair bit of contradictory information out there. And it isn't difficult to get a G5 filter to where you need it
    Thanks for the moral support, lets see how it goes tomorrow, long drive to Montreal from Toronto.

Find the appropriate chart with filtration settings. I have one somewhere for different enlargers. I found it worked well but like using the multigrade more. For those who have never used a Devere 504, the really beauty, for me at least, aside from the solid build, are the control wheels at the front. No more reaching up to adjust focus etc.. All done at baseboard level.

Have fun and pick up some bagels while you're there
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    Find the appropriate chart with filtration settings. I have one somewhere for different enlargers. I found it worked well but like using the multigrade more. For those who have never used a Devere 504, the really beauty, for me at least, aside from the solid build, are the control wheels at the front. No more reaching up to adjust focus etc.. All done at baseboard level.

Have fun and pick up some bagels while you're there
    Thanks for the encouraging words again. Bagels? I'm not sure what is the top food in Montreal, thought it was poutine, but maybe its bagels. Will check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    It's absolutely fine for the job - the problem is there's a fair bit of contradictory information out there. And it isn't difficult to get a G5 filter to where you need it, if you really need it.

From what I recall, the filters in the colour & De Vere VC (as opposed to Ilford MG500) heads are identical, it's just that they are separately controlled in the colour and geared together in the VC to give constant density. To be absolutely honest, I cannot say that I have found a De Vere colour head to be any hindrance to B&W printing, even when needing to jump around in grades.
    With mine, I used Paul Butzi's method to get consistent highlight densities with contrast changes. It's not that hard to do. https://fliphtml5.com/exru/vhtf/basic
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    With mine, I used Paul Butzi's method to get consistent highlight densities with contrast changes. It's not that hard to do. https://fliphtml5.com/exru/vhtf/basic
    Also, doesn't each Ilford paper pack contain a guide for different CMY enlarger settings for each grade? Although the dials on dichro heads probably have different scales.

Also, doesn't each Ilford paper pack contain a guide for different CMY enlarger settings for each grade? Although the dials on dichro heads probably have different scales.
    And the filters vary. When I replaced the magenta filters on my De Vere head my max contrast jumped from grade 3.5 to 4.5.
    Last edited by Peter De Smidt; 17-Feb-2024 at 10:20.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I use an INTREPID enlarger LED HEAD

With the adapter mount/weight
    Tin Can

Thanks for the encouraging words again. Bagels? I'm not sure what is the top food in Montreal, thought it was poutine, but maybe its bagels. Will check it out.
    Fairmont for bagels but some will stand by St Viateur till the end of time. Poutine has to be had in Victoriaville or Drummondville afaic haha. I'd also try and stop by some camera stores there if you have time, Studio Argentique is one I'm curious about.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...