Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: DeVere 504 questions

Re: DeVere 504 questions

that looks like a floor model so will have to take the column apart to transport. when you do that, be very carefully with the head. I took the light source off my 504 and 5108, lowered the stage, then, and this important, tie down the stage with strong straps etc. as well as locking down the controls, cuz if it releases and your noggin is in the line fire, it will put you in a world of hurt.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Is it wall mount or bench/floor mount

It is modular

It has either short shaft or long shaft knobs

always put the head at highest for safety of the lamp and your body
    Tin Can

Take a pic of the underneath for legs
    Tin Can

This is a bench top model, just hard to see on the photo.

ok so as I understand the spring is in highest tension when the head is at lowest point?

If I raise the head, can I lock it and detach the column from the base?

Located a couple of manuals.

https://www.darkroomdave.com/wp-cont...l-Complete.pdf
    https://www.darkroomdave.com/wp-cont...l-0001-NEW.pdf

I did not locate the tension springs in these manuals. Not sure what to watch out for.

Looks like the pulleys and chain have to be taken apart:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pulleys.PNG 
Views:	9 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	246748

But doing so will probably unleash the tension spring, wherever it is.

Quote Originally Posted by kfed1984 View Post
    Located a couple of manuals.

https://www.darkroomdave.com/wp-cont...l-Complete.pdf
    https://www.darkroomdave.com/wp-cont...l-0001-NEW.pdf

I did not locate the tension springs in these manuals. Not sure what to watch out for.

Looks like the pulleys and chain have to be taken apart:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pulleys.PNG 
Views:	9 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	246748

But doing so will probably unleash the tension spring, wherever it is.
    Speak with KHB Photografix before you move the thing. They will probably be happy to walk you through how not to hurt yourself or the enlarger.

De Vere's are not difficult to move if you aren't headstrong and read the manual properly. The number of people who don't/ won't is perennially concerning.

What you are dealing with is the 504DVB. Locate those sections in the manual and read them. Depending on how you want to move it, you should only need to lift off the dichroic head, you only need to remove the baseboard section and drive wheels if you have limited space. The alignments on the machine are seriously well locked down and will probably barely shift after a van ride (they were designed to go on Royal Navy ships and hold up to those sort of conditions). The constant force tensioner spring is inside the column and will, if you don't have things locked down (or the neg stage at the top of the column), instantly slam the neg stage to the top of the column the moment you lift off the dichroic head - it is potentially very very dangerous. Treat it with appropriate care and you'll be fine.

It's quite a late model 504 with the newer column shape/ black paint, thus probably very little wear.

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    Speak with KHB Photografix before you move the thing. They will probably be happy to walk you through how not to hurt yourself or the enlarger.
    Ok so the board comes off the base frame, which can remain attached to the column during transportation.

Then I will lock the stages and remove the head, white board, and wheels if necessary. I'm thinking the white board is a lot bigger than the base frame, so that will save a lot of space.

Thanks!

I have two and when I transported them, I took the lightbox off, moved the neg assembly closer to the baseboard, and locked/strapped it down tight. I felt it was easier to move with all the weight in one area. securing the upper assembly is not a prob. just be aware that it is super tensioned. I would also put the head back BEFORE undoing any straps etc..

One is a dichroic head and the other variable contrast (sooo nice). They are a pleasure to print with, other than the noisy Transtab box haha. I use an Omega digital timer with a dual foot switch and a metronome for printing.

Have fun with it, you won't regret getting it.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by kfed1984 View Post
    Ok so the board comes off the base frame, which can remain attached to the column during transportation.

Then I will lock the stages and remove the head, white board, and wheels if necessary. I'm thinking the white board is a lot bigger than the base frame, so that will save a lot of space.

Thanks!
    The baseboard is 60x60cm, the whole thing will easily fit in most estate cars, never mind a van, without removing the baseboard from the base casting. Do the least dismantling you need to.

As long as you can fit something 60x80cm (the whole area of the column, base casting/ baseboard and control wheels), you will not need to do anything other than lift the dichroic head off & properly secure the neg & lens stages.