I hope to soon be the proud owner of an 8x10 setup. I've pretty much settled on buying a new Wehman, but am also considering the alternative of adding an 8x10 conversion kit to my Arca Swiss Discovery. If the decision were based purely on economics, then I'd sell the Discovery and buy the Wehman, done and done. However, it's not that simple. I'd still like to shoot 4x5, especially for color transparency or when I need a further reach with a longer lens. So I need to build this capability into my purchase.

I understand the Wehman can be fitted with an 8x10/4x5 reducing back. Whereas with the Arca Swiss conversion kit, I'd opt to change out frames and bellows rather than add a reducing back. I am intimately familiar with how the Arca works, and already have 70cm of bellows and plenty of focus rail to handle it. I love the Discovery for the most part, and find in sturdy, reliable and easy to use. But, I have read a lot of good things from other landscape shooters about the Wehman, and feel the 30 day guarantee quells any fears I may have about jumping in with both feet.

All this said, my inclination would be to go with the Wehman plus reducing back rather than the Arca Swiss conversion kit 8x10 setup on my Discovery, with 4x5 frame in the pack. My question is, in terms of packing and shooting (landscape images, mostly), what trade-offs am I missing here? Economics aside, which setup will likely serve me better in the field?

Thanks in advance for your sage advice. I look forward to reading your responses.