Thread: Graflok and "International" Backs, ARCA vs Linhof

SF Bay Area 94303

Graflok and "International" Backs, ARCA vs Linhof

So I am confused, I just bought a Linhof Kardan Color 45s for about what a single lens board costs and it came with a removable ground glass back, standard I assume. You slide the thumby things up and the GG slides out in your hand and on to the floor if you are not careful. I have an old 4X5 ARCA B from which the GG can be removed. Are these backs the same? What roll film holders fit these, are they interchangeable. It is not obvious to me how a Graflex roll film holder attaches to either of these backs by staring at the pictures on eBay. I assume the Linhof roll film backs work somehow at least on the Linhof back. Can someone clarify these issues?

Kirk

The groundglass panels: the frames with groundglass-window, have more or less the same size as they are to cover the space of a 4"x5" sheet film holder when seated in viewing position, however, the spring & lever arrangement attaching the frame to back is different between different backs, so rarely the panels is directly interchangable. To use graflex or Linhof Rollex (stay-away from old rollex holders: troublesome on film-flatness) or super-rollex rollfilm-holders, the groundglass panel is removed as You have discovered, and you secure the rollfilm-holder in taking position by pushing in the two sliding locks on the long-sides of the back. Now close shutter/remove dark slide & go! All 4"x5" backs which have these slide-in locks on the long sides of the 4"x5" opening are graflok-backs and can use the same/international standard rollfilm backs. Thus You can use either Linhof, Graflex, Horseman, Wista or Toyo 4"x5" graflok-type rollfilm-backs on Your camera. In addition, Cambo, Sinar, Linhof (Called "rapid-rollex" of course...) and others, make slide-in rollfilm backs where the thickness of the "picture-taking" part of the holder is indentical in size & thickness as ordinary sheet-film holder, while the film-chamber is a unit in one end of the holder, Protouding outside from the camera-back when holder is seated. Thus, using this holder You do not have to remove GG when changing from viewing to picture taking. It is this holder You will want to use when using adjustments on Your camera. The other type: take-off-groundglass type rollfilm holders is most at home when using ex. a Linhof Tech or speed graphic as fast "handhold/RF" camera as it is both cumbersome & a source for deadjustment to remove GG & attach mag. for each rollfilm-frame You want to expose. The slide-in is lik using an ordinary sheet-film holder. If You are new to this & intend buying used stuff: be aware that both the graphic & rollex + super rollex is very numerous used also in configuration for 2x3" cameras! (useless on Your cameras except using hard to find 2x3 to 4x5 adaptors), so be sure You get the 4"x5" film-holders. However, I would have searched for a Cambo or Calumet slide-in type rollholder to save You from a lot of /&%%%¤#"!!! when You mess up things trying to attach a Graflok-rollfilm holder.

Be aware that there are "Graflex" holders which are for the big Graflex SLR cameras and will not fit your back or any other Greaflok type back. What you want is actually a "Graphic" type rollfilm holder. Fortunately, these are the ones much momre commonly seen. The two types go way back. The confusion exists, of course, because the Graflex company was the originator of both.

The Cambo and Calumet holders that Tor Kjilvo suggests are all made to fit Graflok type backs. I don't know of any company other than Grafles which made holderfs for the SLRs.