Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two polarizers (stacked) as variable ND?

Two polarizers (stacked) as variable ND?

Anyone here ever tried stacking two polarizing filters to achieve the effect of having a variable-density ND filter? I'm curious to try it, but I'm wondering if there are pitfalls to this that I'm missing. I figure I could mark the filter rings and measure light transmission with a light meter to figure out how much light is being transmitted, and then keep a reference card to know where to set it in order to get the density I need.

Thoughts?

Big Negs Rock!

You can stack polarizers and end up with something between a "regular" polarizer and something that is totally black. Some people use them to do fade outs in motion picture work by rotating them during the shot. Not many. But some do. I don't know if this helps or not.

MW
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

It will be extremely hard if not impossible to measure the correct factor of this ND filter and determine the correct exposure if one is not using a focal plane measuring device like Sinar's.
    Full with mission!

www.singh-ray.com/varind.html

I vaguely recall someone saying that this product used polarization to achieve its effect, but I can't swear to it.

From the link Eric provided: "... The Vari-ND can be used with most other Singh-Ray filters except Polarizers...", so I think it pretty certain that this filter simply two stacked polarizing filters.

The Singh-Ray is cool, but I figure I can pick up a couple good polarizers in the filter size I need (which isn't 77mm) and get the same effect for a lot less money.

David,

I imagine it would work adequately. I assume you are trying for really long exposures to remove moving objects or blur a lot. In this case, you can err on the side of overexposure and have a little wiggle room.

To get the best optical quality, buy coated filters.

I would use a spot meter to take a meter reading directly through the stacked polarizers in exactly the relationship and orientation (i.e. which point is "up") that they will be on the camera. This should get you well into the ballpark (unless there is so little light that you cannot get a reading at all).

Of course, reciprocity correction and contrast control will have to be dealt with, as in any long exposure, but you know that.

Good luck,

You wouldn't have a "variable" netutral density filter. The factor of a polarizer remains the same regardless of the position of the polarizer and the angle of the light. So what you would have are two neutral density filters and probably some major vignetting proglems.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Brian,

You are mistaken; put two polarizing filters together and spin one. You will see that it is in fact a "'variable' netutral density filter.' When the slits are parallel the filter factor would be about two stops (?), and when they are perpendicular the filters would cut out just about all light.

I think there is no question that the Singh-Ray is using two polarizers to achieve the variable effect. I suspect they also have a quarter wave plate -- same as in a circular polarizer -- but in this case the 1/4 wave plate is in front of the polarizer elements. That would remove the polarization from the incoming light, and make the polarizers act the same amount on all parts of the scene.

To duplicate this effect with discrete polarizers, you'd want to have a CP reversed, then another polarizer (preferably linear, circular OK) behind it. With separate filters you'll have more air/glass interfaces, which might result in a little bit less quality overall. (Whether the human eye could discern the difference, I won't guess...)