Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Death Valley trip with Toyo 4X5

Death Valley trip with Toyo 4X5

I just returned from 8 days in Death Valley. It was stormy all week and it paid off with beautiful storm clouds to work with. I took my Toyo 4X5 and a new Canon 5D digital camera. My plan was to compare the two. The Canon 5D is a full frame 35mm 12 MP digital camera. I setup the 5D next to my 4X5 on two seperate tripods and Photographed with both in the same time frame, same picture. I reviewed the 5D Images each night. I had some beautifull Images and the camera did great. Yesterday I picked up the 4X5 transparencies and as usual the effort to use the 4X5 paid off. Looking at those beautiful 4X5 transparencies on a light table could never be replaced by a digital camera.

One thing I did discover was how good the Canon 5D meter is. I shot the 4X5 using my 1 degree spot meter as usual and shot a couple days using the 5D meter for my 4X5 shots. I must admit the 5D was a little better than I am with the spot meter. I was surprised it was that good or I was not as good.

It was fun to shoot with both cameras. I was able to see what I was going to get from the 4X5 with the digital Images and it was really fun to see what the 4X5's were going to look like. I usually carrry 4 lenses with my 4X5 and will now carry three lenses and the 5D. The Gitzo 1228 for the 5D is light weight and I can carry it on my backpack and just throw my Ries tripod over my shoulder. The combo of the two cameras has actually given me a lift in using my 4X5 and that is a good thing.

Scott Squires
    Scott Squires

www.scottsquires.com

Eric Woodbury

How busy is it with spring breakers? Getting ready to go myself.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Scott--

Curious what type of backpack or other device do you use to carry both the DSLR and 4x5?

Regards
    John

Scott,

Sounds like a fun trip and a interesting camera setup.

What lens(es) do you have with your 5D and what do you think of them in terms of sharpness and distortion?

Death Valley was busy on both weekends but much less crowded during the weekdays. The biggest problem was hiking in the sand dunes far enough to get out of the footprints. On the first Saturday night sunset and Sunday morning sunrise there were 75 photographers at Zabriskie point, amazing! The rest of the week there were 5 or 6.

I use a Lowepro Mini Trecker. It is small but will carry three lenses, the Toyo 4X5, accesories, 5D camera with lens (28-70) and I use Fuji Quick loads. The whole package weighs 20 pounds which is as light as I could get it. I still carry the Ries tripod over my shoulder. It works well and my old back can handle it fine.

I use a Canon 28-70 2.8L lens on the 5D. One thing with the new full 35mm digital cameras is you have to use an "L" lens. The sensor will show any flaw in the lens. The 28-70 "L" is full frame tack sharp with no distortion.

The 28-70 works well in framing for my three 4X5 lenses, 110 (35), 180 (60) 250 (70+ a little). I also find setting up the 4X5 shot using the 5D was really a time saver for me. One look through the 5D and I am setup with the right lens for the 4X5.

Scott
    Scott Squires

www.scottsquires.com

Doug Dolde

I tried for a while supplanting my 4x5 with a Contax 645 and Kodak DCS back (16 mp).

The Contax kit was much easier to shoot, cleaner files, perfect exposures, etc. But the files just don't match 4x5 transparencies in any way especially when they are drum scanned.

Now I just find it more rewarding to put all my effort into 4x5 rather than diluting it with two systems.

A P45 on a mini view camera it would surely be winner though. But I could buy a brand new fully loaded Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel for what that would cost.

A P45 on a mini view camera it would surely be winner though

Except for the fact that if you do any shift or rise, you get a color shift across the sensor. The fix is shoot a white frame with an expodisc and then have the software mask the correction into the image. Since the color shift is image, lens and shift-amount specific, you have to do this for EVERY image you shift! Sounds like a bit too much work for me
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

John -

I have a similar setup to Scott's. I use a Lowepro Photo Trekker AW II. I can fit one Canon 20D with two lenses (17-35 & 50mm), and a Toyo 45AII and three lenses (55, 110, 180) in there. I could probably fit an additional LF lens in the bag, but three is all I usually need. After those, I also have room for a lightmeter, 5 filters and 10 film holders. Lowpro makes some amazing photobags. I especially like the tripod mount.

Scott,

When you use the 5D for metering, do you use an offset? afaik, the 5D does not have "correct" ISO settings, but a bit higher than normal, e.g. its 1600 ISO setting is actually 2000, etc. I have recently compared my ole Sixtino2 with a Contax SLR and the 5D, which supported this. The Sixtino and the Contax came out with about the same values, whereas the 5D showed shorter exposures.

Scott,

Which Toyo 4x5 are you using if I might ask?

Also you mentioned that you need to use L glass with the 5d--I shoot with the 20d and use some old EF non-L lenses with it and have had no problems at all. I am just curious if it is the extra 4MP that make the difference?

thanks
    Ron