Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: replacement lenscaps

replacement lenscaps

I had forgotten about the leather lenscaps, made of wonderful, soft English? leather - it even smelled good! They were a work of art.

replacement lenscaps

I have a big furry-leather cap from Rodenstock, too, and not on an antique - it came on my 480 Sironar-N.

But I have to agree with Kerry. I'm a huge Rodenstock fan, but while the caps on most of the very small diameter Rodenstocks, like my 100 N and 135 S, are fine, the ones on the large lenses are inadequate. My 240 S took a modest spill once that shouldn't have been an issue at all, but the cap emerged totally shredded from its encounter with the ground, and I avoided a catastrophe with the glass only through a hefty dose of luck. Given how expensive all the lenses are now, I'd gladly pay the extra few bucks for a properly robust cap. I know Bob S has responded on this point before, but as the slogan says on another furry-leather cap in my collection - an ancient Wollensak - "LET THE USER JUDGE"! ;-)

So that's definitely something else to watch out for in buying a replacement cap - size isn't everything.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

replacement lenscaps

Bob S/Kerry, thanks for the information... I was responding out of my personal experience, not comparative data. But I do appreciate seeing some data!

"The 60mm Rodenstock cap measured 1.9mm thick at the edge. The 60mm Kaiser cap measured 1.42mm at the same point. " (Bob S.)

I don't have Rodenstock caps in this size, but I think the Schneider's (that I do have) are at least 1/2mm thicker also. My Schneider caps 'feel' heavier-weight (more rigid) than my Kaiser caps. Did you also measure thickness at the center of the cap? I'd suspect differences there, too... maybe even greater than 1/2 mm. At least that's how it feels to me when holding between my fingers. Also, is the plastic of the various caps equally rigid?

I doubt that these measurements really matter much unless a lens hits the ground. Personally, I count on a lens cap more for dust protection than shock protection.

Bob, please note that it was not my intention to besmerch the quality of your products. In fact, I just ordered several Kaiser caps from B&H the other day. I could have bought Schneider caps, but they were twice the price of the Kaiser... Bob, you certainly have price on your side!

replacement lenscaps

Kerry, the good old days aren't over just yet. Voigtlander 35mm rangefinder lenses (at least the ones I own) come with metal lens hoods and metal, felt-lined, domed lens caps that fit over the hood, not the lens barrel. Very nice indeed. Check out http://cameraquest.com/voigtlen.htm The caps are $20. You can contact Stephen Gandy & find out if any of the caps fit your LF lenses.

replacement lenscaps

Ha, the Voightlander cap was the best part of the lens itself! At least for the one I tried on the Leica...