Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Urge of ULF Panorama

Zebra

Re: Urge of ULF Panorama

Xkaes

For me it’s the time with the ground glass in the final frame of the picture combined with alternative process’ as the output. I may take on digital negatives in the future but for now seeing the 7 x 17 ground glass and knowing this is the size/scene you will print in Pt/pd, Pt/pd gumover’ is very satisfying. The same is true in with the non panorama ULF formats I use for wet plate collodion work as well.

Monty

Monty is wise

I enjoy my petty pursuits as a retired and tired person

So many try to stop dreamers

Maybe I get this 14X17 flying or not

No matter as Rosebud, will be my last wimper

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Monty McCutchen View Post
    I’m always fascinated at how quickly others assign value/judgement to others choice of tools. Invariably the old easy trope of the final product is the only valued assessment that is applied to the tool. For the pro I would think that absolutely is true. The most efficient tool to produce the product of value—the print should be used. But I would hazard to guess most of us on this site aren’t pros—if we are we are hungry ones based on how much time we spend here. Process for the rest of us has value. How do we want to spend our discretionary photographic time? I shoot 20 x 24 and it most certainly has nothing to do with winning a biggest camera contest. Hardly anyone outside of the limited readership of this forum even know I shoot with it. It isn’t efficient. It’s difficult to take into the field. Processing is cumbersome and a full body sport and my final products are more likely to be given away than purchased—a function of limited time/commitment and possibly talent! But I love every second of its illogical pursuit. The experience with sitters is superior to any other format I shoot. They participate in a way no other format provides in MY experience. We end up closer through the collaboration. For landscapes the pace and effort puts me in a place where I’m more in tune with the moments I spend composing and enjoying the shoot. I walk away happy even in the failures of final product. I understand that line of thinking is individuated to me but that’s the point—there are as many reasons for photography as there forum members and it can’t be contained in a caricature of motivation. If the OP wants to pursue a unique format he may very well end up in the rarified air of Kenro Izu whom most certainly didn’t care about efficiency, or he may tool away is mediocre anonymity like I do. If it brings him joy I hope he pins his ears back and sprints toward the finish line. Unreasonable art is the best kind!

Monty
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    So many try to stop dreamers
    I suppose that some dreamers might assume that anyone asking, "Why?" or "What's your goal", is an attempt to obstruct. It's just as likely that they are interested in learning or following.

I love the "extentricity" of combining the wizardry of chemistry and the art of Large format (the biggest I can go is 11x14). It's so darn fun doing something that most can't comprehend. I've been "fully" retired now for about 3 years. Photography and darkroom are an absolute obsession for me. It's all I think about except for cooking and running around on my e-bike. I hope to be building a small shed in my backyard. My wife thinks it will house my mower, ha the mower can sit in my garage, I want an empty space that I can use as a natural light studio. It's not going to happen until I'm ready.
    Keep going, never give up.

In the desert...

I have some 10x24 lith film I will be experimenting with before ordering some 10 x 24 Ilford.

I photograph with a 7x17 and process the film in black ABS tubes with same sized end cap. Surprisingly enough, the pour cap for the 8x10 Simma tubes fit perfectly, so it's an all daylight process. The tube spins on a Simma oscillating/eccentric roller base, but the tube needs to be flipped around every few minutes to get bi-directional processing.

Haven't seen any signs of uneven processing with HC-110, Rodinal or my new fav, Pyrocat HD in glycol.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

The urge hit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220430_160010262.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	226856
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Can't wait to see the print!