Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glass plate film still around?

Glass plate film still around?

I believe one of the primary uses for the TMax 100 glass plates was astronomical photography.

Ilford still offers glass plates coated with specialized emulsions for scientific applications, with a brief nod to unspecified "creative applications":

www.ilfordphoto.com/products/page.asp?n=136

The Agfa and some of the kodak plates are used for aerial camera calibrations:

"These measurements were made on Agfa glass plates, 0.19 inch thick, with spectroscopic emulsion type APX Panchromatic, developed in D-19 at 68 F for 3 minutes with continuous agitation. These photographic plates were exposed on a multicollimator camera calibrator using a white light source rated at approximately 5300K."

This is from a calibration report from Sept. 2005 for a Jena LM2015 camera with a 153mm Lamegon lens.

I have curiosity about the connection between "scientific" application and "glass plates."

I would assume that very early on in the history of photography, glass was the logical substrate because of its rigidity, and transparency for printing.

I also assume that an inherent problem with a flexible substrate is that in very exacting photographic applications (say, "scientific") it cannot be counted upon to be exactly flat.

Also, for Carolyn, aren't there paintable/applyable photographic emulsions available? I have seen this kind of applied photographic emulsion applied to small flat pieces of stone with an image having been exposed and developed.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

" ... when the great oil crisis stopped the petrolium based economy dead in it's tracks, the more energy conservative use of film in fact dominated the energy hungry digital imaging processes."

of course the bigger issue will be avoiding gangs of urban canibals while you're hunched unsuspectingly under your dark cloth, taking pictures of post-apocolyptic america.

Carolyn,

Just out of curiosity, what is your interest in glass plate photography?

paulr,

Did you write that quote, yourself? Your second comment sounds strangely "Escape from New York"-esque.

I had a question re. what my interest is in glass-plate photography. I told this to at least one person off-list, but am replying to the group in case anybody else wondered.

I work at Wilder Ranch State Park in California. I'm currently doing planning for a school living history program, which will be either an extended day or an overnight (depending on whether we can get our historic septic system fixed!!) experience. The children will be doing activities c. 1912 on the ranch. Melvin Wilder, who lived on the ranch from 1885-1945, was a hobby photographer. We have many wonderful images printed off of glass plates that were found in the attic of one of the houses, which the children will be using as part of their research of what life was like in 1912. (The prints, not the plates. The negatives are stored away now in a state archive.)

I'm thinking, if we can get the equipment and figure out the workings, that taking a photograph of the class using a glass-plate, then giving them prints of the photo and the glass plate negative as a class souvenir, would be a great memento of their time spent in 1912.

My photography experience is pretty limited: one class years ago in high school with 1974 black & white photography and dark room technique (guess that's antique now), and a little fooling around with cameras but no developing and printing since then. I did buy an Agfa box camera, c. 1930s, at a garage sale last year and have taken some photos with that, but had them commercially processed. That's my antique camera experience.

Thanks so much for all the information the members of this group have provided.

Carolyn Schimandle
    Park Interpreter I
    Wilder Ranch State Park
    Santa Cruz, CA

P.S. Love the image of post-apocalyptic thugs sneaking up on unsuspecting photographers...

You can make your own, using Liquid Light or a number of other readily obtainable liquid emusions. All you ned is that and thin glass cut to size from a glass shop. The prep work you need to do before coationg the glass is the only fiddly part. The rest is easy. These emulsions are very slow. Just like the plates of the time. Exposure would be in seconds.

Old School Wayne

I made my first ever dry glass plate just yesterday.

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=13445

Even though it blows, I'm extremely proud of it, like the father of a newborn but very ugly baby. A cigar for everyone!

Re: Glass plate film still around?

Here's of my early plate images made on Old Ilford HP3.
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...to=15070&cat=2