Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Advice on lense (comparing 2 options)

Re: Advice on lense (comparing 2 options)

Hi Neal, thanks for the tips. When you say 'a basic Toyo', I presume you mean a monorail then? I have already, stashed away in a big box in a photo studio, a Sinar (P, I think), collecting dust to be honest. I am planning to do portraits in different parts of town, 'travelling' by bicycle (I'm based in the Netherlands...), ie gear in backpack, tripod attached to the bike.. So, the Sinar will stay in the box/be used in the studio only (or not). It was the mobility and ease of using the Linhof MT, that got me into LF.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Chaves View Post
    Range finder press and view cameras like the Technika, Graphic and others, do not have focus on the back, so they are awkward to use for close portraits with ground glass focusing and composition. Successful portrait use with RF cameras requires an accurate, parallax-correcting viewfinder and a lens that produces a good head size without a lot of extension, which makes the camera cumbersome to handle. Telephoto lenses are suggested. I tried a 240mm lens on the Technika that was great for tight headshots on a 4X5 monorail and found it required too much extension and was unable to focus close enough with the Technika RF. Which ever longer than normal lens you choose for the Technika, you will still need a camera that focuses from the rear for tight portraits. A basic Toyo or other with a Technika adapter board would add only a small investment to your kit but greatly expand your capabilities.

I tried to set the Technika (a Master) up for "Big Shot" use that can be easily done with a Graphic, but it is not practical. Photo below is full frame 4X5 with 210mm lens RF-focused and accurately composed with open frame finder. The TRF Graphic is immediately ready for RF focus from 8 ft. to infinity on the same cam simply by setting the lens back on its infinity stops, rather than in the Big Shot configuration.
    Attachment 226018

Anette,

You are embarked on a great photographic adventure and will surely learn a great deal about equipment (tool) selection. You asked about putting the 150 on a flat board for easier release attachment. The 150 will only close up in the case of the Technika when mounted in a recessed board. Corran used a telephoto 270 for his photograph. The 250 Fujinon W you have will pull considerably more bellows. For ground glass focusing, this can be overcome with a good quality plus lens. Try it on the Sinar with an adapter board and get a feel for focusing from the rear and how much bellows is required. And have fun!

Hello Anette,

Previous Linhof Technika owner/user and a Sinar user for over three decades, these are two very different view cameras with distinct differences and capabilities/limitations. Technika can be used as a rangefinder cameras with cam_ed lenses given the rangerfinder is working properly. This was how many 4x5 press cameras were used back in those days. In this specific way of using a rangefinder 4x5, telephoto design lenses (Tele-Xenar, Tele_Arton, Tele-Fujinon, Tele-Nikkor and..) have a distinct advantage of needing less camera and bellows extension aiding stability and mobility of the 4x5 hand held rangefinder camera.

Using a Graflex Grafmatic sheet film holder allows six sheets of film to be run in camera without removing the film holder:
    https://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/grafmatic/

This method of image-making is an extension of using a fixed lens camera like digital or roll film.

Sinar P, IMO is very much a studio-indoor camera with limited mobility. Sinar is a modular camera system that can be configured to meet virtually any view camera image making need as in these examples from decades gone by:
    https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/01338/01338.pdf

https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/01388/01388.pdf
    ~Note the electronic strobe power required for these images and how contrast range is managed.

Sinar P is easily capable of meeting image making needs no Technika can, Technika is easily capable of making images not possible with the Sinar P. Point being both cameras have very different abilities and limitations, chose the one (tool) that meets your image making goals best.

The capabilities of a view camera is tied to viewing the image on the ground glass and using all the camera movements possible for a given image making need. This is where a GOOD view camera with sheet film has no equal relative to fixed lens digital or roll film cameras (there are tilt-shit lenses, but they have very real limits compared to a GOOD view camera system). Learning ground glass viewing and the ability to apply ALL possible view camera movements coupled with knowledge and understanding of lens capabilities and limits is what is needed to get the best out of sheet film. The comes the understanding and knowledge of film, film processing and print making. It is all a system and tools to achieve your image goals in mind.

This previous post from a Linhof book illustrates nicely how camera movements work and what they can and cannot do.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ong-amp-Linhof

Bernice

The OP states his 150mm lens is a 150/5.6 R-stock Sironar N. I routinely use this lens on a flat board on a Tech V and am able to close the camera with the lens installed.
    Bill Poole

"Speak softly, but carry a big camera."

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Poole View Post
    The OP states his 150mm lens is a 150/5.6 R-stock Sironar N. I routinely use this lens on a flat board on a Tech V and am able to close the camera with the lens installed.
    My Master Technika came new with a 150mm Symmar-S in a recessed board so it could fold in the case. Perhaps the later 150 Sironar N could fold on a flat board. Bob Salomon would have the answer. I have not used Linhof products for years but I wanted to caution the OP about the possibility before she changed boards.

My Master Technika came new with a 150mm Symmar-S in a recessed board so it could fold in the case. Perhaps the later 150 Sironar N could fold on a flat board. Bob Salomon would have the answer. I have not used Linhof products for years but I wanted to caution the OP about the possibility before she changed boards.
    The 001015 recessed Comfort Board is the factory recommended board for the IV, V, Master, 2000 and 3000 Technikas.

Of course, understood, Neal.

"The 001015 recessed Comfort Board is the factory recommended board for the IV, V, Master, 2000 and 3000 Technikas."

Thanks for the clarification, Bob.
    Bill Poole

"Speak softly, but carry a big camera."