Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lens designs with swirliest bokeh?

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Lens designs with swirliest bokeh?

One of my "weirdest" lenses is a Xenar Typ D 15omm f:3.5. It goes seriously swirly outside the circle of good definition - like when I out it on a 5x7" camera. Just like the 50mm f:3.5 lens on my FED-2 35mm camera, in fact - just that that FED lens is a tessar type, unlike the Xenar Typ D...

As an aside, I agree with those earlier posters who don't want to call it bokeh. To me also that term implies soft out-of-focus areas within the circle of good definition, this swirl is what happens outside.

It's a lovely picture, but I think that some of the "swirliness" is due to the background vegetation moving during a long exposure. I've seen similar examples from collodion negs where the movement in open-air shots due to breeze has added to the effect of shooting almost wide-open. Sometimes the effect is enormously distracting (not in the example quoted!) and, like someone above wrote, makes you feel dizzy.

Regards,
    Neil.

multiplex

single cell lenses harvested off of folding cameras also give swirly effects, and they are pretty cheep.
    some have a simple funnel like hole they screw into which acts as an fstop to reduce abberation and give a sharp image ( as sharp an image as a folder can give you )

...without the funnel-aperture these lenses give nice swirly effects. they also make beautiful portrait lenses ( color or black and white ).

In addition to what has been written about Petzvals, Veritos, and Type D Tessars, good swirlyness comes with an appropriate background. A solid color hides aberration while a "busy" background like Kerik's leaves shows distortion best. Find yourself an appropriate lens a bit shorter than recommended, and seek ye busy backgrounds...

mark woods: . I no longer carry Vaseline, but I do carry KY -- and it works! (Along with Fogal stockings, YSL stockings

Aren't you glad the national parks don't have a Stop and Search directive? Park Ranger "Taking pictures? Sure! What's with the KY and stockings?"

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Just a quick comment: The Xenar Typ D is NOT a Tessar, but a triplet. That makes quite a bit of difference!

It can always be "helped along" by careful application of Photoshop's Radial Blur. Not that I am suggesting any of you would ever consider doing such a thing or you might be banned from APUG.

Like I was ;-)

I have seen it with Petzvals, and a 3.5 Xenar that I used to own. Here is an example from that lens that shows some swirlyness:

and leica summarits are known for swirlies too, but that is of course for the miniature format. what summarits show is a different effect, i think, more of a bokeh thing, or whatever. the terms give me a headache.

darn it, i can never get the links to work right:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/egould/114330661/