Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Fuji Fujifilm CM Fujinon W 210mm ?

Re: Thoughts on Fuji Fujifilm CM Fujinon W 210mm ?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    But yes, the addition of an expensive glass aspheric would have no doubt elicited some distinct statement if that ever occurred. I'll go with the official schematic and common-sense pricing that it didn't happen. If someone else want to dissect an expensive lens and prove otherwise, it's their prerogative. But why would Fuji even go that route if it wasn't necessary? Schneider fumbled on their first run of aspheric Symmars, and got the adhesive wrong. It's not like using tiny moulded plastic aspherics in amateur applications. But every player among the big four was trying to establish their own niche with something special. It's called competition.
    You certainly should be nominated for the "Run on sentence Award"

https://mymodernmet.com/longest-run-...liam-faulkner/

I have the CMW 125mm. It's a good lens. Sharp, well made. etc. etc. I know that doesn't help the OP too much with the 210, but it's closer to on-topic.

Quote Originally Posted by mike rosenlof View Post
    I have the CMW 125mm. It's a good lens. Sharp, well made. etc. etc. I know that doesn't help the OP too much with the 210, but it's closer to on-topic.
    The longest sentence in Drew's post is only 21 words long. And it isn't a run on.

But to throw my hat in the ring for the topic at hand. The CM W's optical design changes is only limited to moving to a fully air spaced design rather than glued groups. The air spaced design means better CA correction and thus higher edge acuity. This would normally be at the sacrifice of contrast, but coating advances effectively removes that problem entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by MAubrey View Post
    The longest sentence in Drew's post is only 21 words long. And it isn't a run on.
    I guess you've never read Hemingway.

I could go on.

But that would miss the point.
    Last edited by xkaes; 17-Mar-2022 at 15:46.

Drew Wiley

I'm being put in the same league as Hemingway? That's quite a compliment! Did he write about lenses too? Or are more than three sentences just too much to take in at once?

The initial set of Fujinon W series lenses are shown as 6/4 elements/groups. The intermediate NW (New W) series moved on to mostly 6/6 fully air-spaced elements.

The final CM-W series mostly continued the NW series 6/6 designs. I did a side-by-side comparison of resolution only between the 6/4 Fujinon W 250/6.7 and the latest 250 Fujinon CM-W. I saw no practical difference in resolution. I did not measure contrast nor color character of the lenses but would expect that the EBC-multicoated CM-W would have somewhat better contrast although the CM-W's extra 4 air-glass interfaces would reduce the EBC benefit at least somewhat.

As a practical matter, on the single copies of each that I directly compared, I did not see any practical difference between the original 250/6.7 W and the late CM-W 250. YMMV of course and there's always sample variation.

....what about that long sentence in Ulysses? Something like 47 pages? Drew...you up for the challenge?

Drew Wiley

I thought Ulysses Grant made more grunts than speeches. Won him the election at least, and served him well in the War. Maybe the Greek Fates got fed up with long-winded speeches long ago, and wanted to make a point.

While taking a tax law course in law school, I came across one sentence in the US tax code that was 697 words long in that single sentence.

What I mostly learned from the tax law course was that it was a fine cure for insomnia and that I would rather be burned at the stake than be a tax lawyer.

Hemingway, on the other hand, was once challenged to write a serious story using not more than six words and replied "Baby shoes for sale. Never used."

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Incorrect. Unlike earlier versions, the CM-W series used aspheric elements that improved performance at the edge of their image circles:

There's no indication of an aspheric element in any of the CMW's, or in fact, any Fuji LF lens of any series. It's darn rare with any brand. There are more cost effective methods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Again, post the Fujinon publication or source to note the Aspheric lens element(s) in their CM-W series.. Otherwise this is Foto myth and needs to stop here.

Bernice
    Try looking at a CM-W Fujinon with your own eyes, Bernice. To use the old saw, it's "intuitively obvious to the most casual observer." Not myth. Reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    No trust in “my” eyes on visualizing any of the elements in the Fujinon CM-W are Aspheric. What if the believed Aspheric Lens elements are inside the CM-W lens cells?...
    ...believe it or not, light passes all the way through those cells, and the way it's refracted by them -- even the elements inside them -- is clearly visible.

OK, Bernice, don't believe your lyin' eyes. Demand further proof!
    Nothing on the official Fuji CMW schematic shows an aspheric element. Nor does the only moderate price increase for the CMW series suggest that kind of element present...
    I've just taken out both my 135mm and 450mm CM Fujinon W lenses as well as the one Fujinon A lens Drew and I agree about, namely, the 360mm f/10 version. Whether or not Fuji included aspheric elements within either front or rear cells of these CM-Ws, there can be no doubt that the front cells' front elements' front surfaces are aspheric.

Examining front surface reflections from a light source, the 360A's are uniform edge to edge. The front surfaces of each CM-W front cell reflect an obvious change in prescription radius when approaching their edges.

So, as it turns out, Fuji didn't hide the evidence. It's out there in plain sight for anyone willing to look at it. Here's the 450:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	450 CM-W front reflections.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	225724
    Last edited by Sal Santamaura; 17-Mar-2022 at 10:02.