Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ebony RW810 or Arca Swiss F Series

Re: Ebony RW810 or Arca Swiss F Series

Quote Originally Posted by agregov View Post
    if they no longer sell the right bellows, I'm sure Custom Bellows in the UK could make you one.
    A participant in this forum was able to order a 171 bellows from Arca-Swiss last summer. Custom Bellows can certainly make an Arca-Swiss bellows, but you have to supply the bellows frames. It doesn't make or sell frames. There's also a Hong Kong maker of 171 bellows with frames. Bernice Loui started a recent thread about this company's bellows. One person who ordered an Arca-Swiss bellows from Hong Kong has told me that he's quite happy with his. The company sells via eBay and from its website eTone Photo.

Arca-Swiss

The 171 series are OK, but they are a little heavier. No new bellows from Arca-Swiss or 171 frames are still available.

Also almost as hard to find a 171 series 8x10, as it is to find a 141.

I do have the cameras in stock like I sold to Ben Horne with a 15cm and 40cm rail, and MicroOrbix tilt.

Again any questions I am around.

Rod
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Klukas View Post
    No new bellows from Arca-Swiss or 171 frames are still available.
    You told me the same thing last summer when I asked you about a 171 leather bag bellows. A few days later, a European participant in this forum told me that Arca-Swiss was making him one. Fortuitously, I was able to purchase one second-hand (photo below) and didn't have to pursue it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0915.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	162.3 KB 
ID:	225593

Don’t let availability of bellows in a particular size combination turn you off Arca, if it turns out that’s what’s most suited to you. Bellows are available from other parties as noted above. Frames aren’t exactly rocket science - I’ve made them with a router from a sheet of ABS plastic. A machinist or 3D print service would have no problem.

Craig,

As someone who used an Ebony 8x10 RW I can give you my thoughts on it. I used the RW for over ten years and it was my go to camera. I loved the ease of set up and use. If ease of use and a quick setup are important, the Ebony will beat the Arca Swiss. I know, I have photographed next to a few photographers using the Arca Swiss and it simply takes more time to set it up and break down. (That certainly doesn't mean the Ebony is better, it's just the Ebony is easier to set up.) It is rigid enough for lenses up to the 450/480 length. It easily handled my 3 pound Nikkor 150SW. Never any problems at these lengths. That being said, I really never had a problem using my Fuji 600C with the camera either. Yes, you have to be careful in the wind when the camera is fully extended, but I would think that fairly normal with any 8x10. The main reason I sold my Ebony last year simply came down weight. I think the Arca Swiss has the Ebony beat on this and is lighter. Having just turned 70 I thought shaving several pounds off of my camera pack made sense, so I bought the Chamonix Alpinist which is a great camera in its own right, lightweight, rigid, did I say lightweight? Loved my Ebony and was sorry to see it go, but the Alpinist is slowly making me forget about the Ebony. Jim
    Last edited by Jim Becia; 13-Mar-2022 at 07:12.

Hello, Rod!
    Good news to know the metric models now have the manual rear rise!!
    I pm’d you about the part by FB.

Arca-Swiss

Neil,
    The cameras did lose some rise when the 141 8x10 was designed. However, first, an indirect displacement would cure that issue except with the misura. However, we have now produced a front block after discussions, as mentioned by Neil above, that can be inserted under the front frame and give back the formerly lost rise ability. So no issues any more with losing rise. The block can be left installed.

I have used up to the 360mm Apo-Sironar-S, a large lens, to say the least, with no issues.

As of 2021 this block has been included with the camera.

I hope this helps.
    Rod
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

Arca-Swiss

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    You told me the same thing last summer when I asked you about a 171 leather bag bellows. A few days later, a European participant in this forum told me that Arca-Swiss was making him one. Fortuitously, I was able to purchase one second-hand (photo below) and didn't have to pursue it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0915.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	162.3 KB 
ID:	225593
    If that really happened I stand corrected, as I was told that the 171 frames were no longer available and there are no 171 Leather bellows or any 171 bellows available. Your European friend must have some pull.

Rod
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Klukas View Post
    If that really happened...
    If you like I'd be happy to post the e-mail exchanges that I had about this with you and the forum member in Europe. In any event, @alan_b makes a good point (post #24), and there are third party makers (post #21).
    Last edited by r.e.; 20-Mar-2022 at 15:17.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Arca-Swiss

NEW Notice.

The 072050 was a leather bellows 171 series and it is available on request ( price $593 ) but only in Synthetic bag style.

072050 and 072051 catalog numbers were merged but i don't know when (see attached picture)

072050 folded leather as depicted, in the 171 catalog is no longer available.

See link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q6bjszt11n...llows.pdf?dl=0

This should clarify.

Rod
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com