Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rittreck View 5x7 camera manual

Re: Rittreck View 5x7 camera manual

Quote Originally Posted by landstrykere View Post
    I read in some of the many discussions here or elsewhere that it was a studio camera in Japan. Yet it looks very sturdy and ideal for carrying...
    I've bought a Rittreck View that had Dymo tape with "STUDIO 2" written on it. I've also read that they were favoured by commercial street portrait photographers around tourist spots in Japan.

Note that there is a bewildering variety of backs available for them. Avoid the old wood half-plate backs. Most come with a rotating 4x5 back. The 5x7 back is lighter than the 4x5 back and more expensive than a camera itself, but it changes the camera from a "big and heavy 4x5" to a "light and compact 5x7". I also have the whole plate back and half a dozen of the matching Rittreck whole plate film holders. The format is a nice size, and a shame more film isn't available. From all reports the 8x10 back is limited in use.

The half-plate Toyo is tempting but it's based on the Speed Graphic so movements etc are limited. Its half-plate film back isn't standard (most half-plate holders have the same external dimension as 5x7, these are smaller) and half-plate film is not readily available anyway, and if it was it would be a pain to develop because no developing tanks fit that size. Note that if the camera used 5x7-sized holders it would be a really cheap 5x7 camera: a back was made but it's rare.

I am very tempted by a Rittreck because it will be faster to set, then fold and pack again I think, for just like 1 kg more. Yet 1kg more ....

I am often on Yahoo Japan auctions through Buyee, and I spotted another interesting similar camera, the Toyo Sakai, but it is for the 4¾ x 6½ format...
    The Rittreck with 5x7 back weighs slightly less than 4.3 KG, heavy but solid and well-made. It is a good 5x7 folding field camera - I have two - but not a camera for long hikes after taking into account lenses, film holders, and accessories. If you do buy one from a humid place like Japan, ask about the condition of the bellows - they can get mildewed or damaged from improper folding - and about potential corrosion of the metal parts controlling and locking the movements.

Still, aside from the expensive and rate Canham and Technika 5x7 metal cameras, the Rittreck is among the few available metal 5x7 folders, and certainly the most affordable one.

The Canham is definitely lighter and and a more modern design. However, Keith Canham told me, when I was buying my new one from him, that he is out of CNC'd parts for 5x7s and does not anticipate making any more new metal 5x7 MQC models, so you would need to find a metal Canham 5x7 as used.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughan View Post
    half-plate film back isn't standard (most half-plate holders have the same external dimension as 5x7, these are smaller) and half-plate film is not readily available anyway, and if it was it would be a pain to develop because no developing tanks fit that size. Note that if the camera used 5x7-sized holders it would be a really cheap 5x7 camera: a back was made but it's rare.
    if I buy one I will make a back for 5x7. My current 5x7 and 8x10 cameras have homemade backs, I am comfortable with tinkering. Developing tanks also very simple, at least for one sheet at a time.

on the left a bottle of Tetenal BW chemicals. They have almost the Ø of steel tanks for 135 and 120 spirals. Just ~1 mm more. So with a bit of pressure lids of steel tanks do fit, stay put firm, and don't leak, due the elasticity yet stiffness of the bottle's plastic. I cut bottle at height to accommodate whatever size: 135 or 120 spirals, 2x3, 4x5, 5x7, 8x10. Left to right on the picture 4x5, 5x7, 8x10.
    Perforated aluminium sheet is inserted so it allows fluid circulation back the film:

the other squarish tank is made with plates glued to corners and with extra construction silicone outside. Film holder from perforated metallic ribbon. Can have 3 sheets in the tank. Can make at whatever sizes. Crude but simple and working. All is needed are snips, reinforced (graphite powder) cyanoacrylate glue, vice, hammer, pliers, perforated bonding ribbon.

Small town, South Carolina, US

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughan View Post

The half-plate Toyo is tempting but it's based on the Speed Graphic so movements etc are limited. Its half-plate film back isn't standard (most half-plate holders have the same external dimension as 5x7, these are smaller) and half-plate film is not readily available anyway, and if it was it would be a pain to develop because no developing tanks fit that size. Note that if the camera used 5x7-sized holders it would be a really cheap 5x7 camera: a back was made but it's rare.
    The Toyo original field camera is missing shift and swing in the front. Fine for almost all field work but for buildings etc. not so good. The back has tilt only. It is lighter and more compact than the Rittreck. I have adapted a 5x7 back to mine.

The Toyo / Sakai metal field 4-3/4 x 6-1/2 does have swing in the front. It unlocks with a chrome lever at photographer's right, bottom of the front standard. No front shift, no rear swing (and no rear rise or shift, like many field cameras). Although I guess it has some heritage from the Speed Graphic, the few movements it has over the Graphic are important ones.

The 4x5 back for it (what I have) is not rare (as far as I know). The 5x7 back must be very rare, I haven't seen a picture of it, and there have been threads casting doubt on whether an OEM 5x7 back existed. There was an old thread on the Toyo where someone discussed adapting a 5x7 back but the pictures were long gone. Since then, this blog on adapting a back appeared: https://5x7blog.wordpress.com/2017/1...-standard-5x7/

With this camera, it is good to unlock the front rise as well as the tilt when folding it to avoid misfolding the bellows (Perhaps true of most field cameras of this type?)

I read in some of the many discussions here or elsewhere that it was a studio camera in Japan.
    Right, one of the good things about the Rittreck is that feature back focusing.
    The Canham is a very different camera and with a very different approach: closer maybe to a "do it all", or a "field-monorail" with its benefits and drawbacks. Worth to think about the use it will take.
    My main issue: 5x7" film availability. In my surroundings there is no 5x7" anywhere (only 13x18 scraps) so I need to pay for import (shipping, taxes, and the inflated prices film already have). I use to shoot large format, but although I like 5x7" most, convenience takes me to the 4x5" route. "Small" LF photography is considerably cheaper and more comfortable too.
    Last edited by jose angel; 27-Feb-2024 at 08:34.

Small town, South Carolina, US

Quote Originally Posted by reddesert View Post
    The Toyo / Sakai metal field 4-3/4 x 6-1/2 does have swing in the front. It unlocks with a chrome lever at photographer's right, bottom of the front standard. No front shift, no rear swing (and no rear rise or shift, like many field cameras). Although I guess it has some heritage from the Speed Graphic, the few movements it has over the Graphic are important ones.

With this camera, it is good to unlock the front rise as well as the tilt when folding it to avoid misfolding the bellows (Perhaps true of most field cameras of this type?)
    You are correct - my mistake. It does have front swing.
    It is easy to misfold the bellows if you are not careful.

Quote Originally Posted by reddesert View Post

The 4x5 back for it (what I have) is not rare (as far as I know). The 5x7 back must be very rare, I haven't seen a picture of it, and there have been threads casting doubt on whether an OEM 5x7 back existed.
    The OEM 5x7 back did exist. I sold one in 2017, with an equally rare Linhof Technika lens panel. I sold another in 2018 with the usual Speed Graphic panel. The back was the same as the Toyo 57G.

Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    The OEM 5x7 back did exist. I sold one in 2017, with an equally rare Linhof Technika lens panel. I sold another in 2018 with the usual Speed Graphic panel. The back was the same as the Toyo 57G.

Kumar

thanks. Good to know, it means DIY 5x7/13x18 back is doable.

I tried to find pages about this older camera, by using online translation, but not much finds. For instance:
    http://je2luz.g1.xrea.com/toyofield01.htm
    it says body only is 2,8kg.
    an idea of the size, folded, vs the 5x7 Graflex Crown Graphic:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toyogra02-s.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	247217

exploration of web.archive.org brings nothings, for instance 1999:
    http://web.archive.org/web/199904230...p/maincame.htm

a succinct timeline of Toyo cameras on wikipedia in japanese:
    https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%88%E3%83%A8

for the Rittreck details.
    https://note.com/mightybear_photo/n/n335adbea6dc4
    and

On the other hand the 4x5 Toyo are massively available and documented. Somehow I find it weird, because the size 4"x5" is not much bigger than 6x9cm. 13x18/5"x7"/4¾"x6½" is ideal, still compact enough but almost twice the size.

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    Kumar
    Interesting - I'm not familiar with the Toyo 57G. Was that an interchangeable back with the same fitting as the usual Toyo-Sakai 4-3/4 x 6-1/2, or a uniquely 5x7 version of it?

thanks. Good to know, it means DIY 5x7/13x18 back is doable.

I tried to find pages about this older camera, by using online translation, but not much finds. For instance:
    http://je2luz.g1.xrea.com/toyofield01.htm
    it says body only is 2,8kg.
    an idea of the size, folded, vs the 5x7 Graflex Crown Graphic:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toyogra02-s.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	247217

exploration of web.archive.org brings nothings, for instance 1999:
    http://web.archive.org/web/199904230...p/maincame.htm

a succinct timeline of Toyo cameras on wikipedia in japanese:
    https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%88%E3%83%A8

On the other hand the 4x5 Toyo are massively available and documented. Somehow I find it weird, because the size 4"x5" is not much bigger than 6x9cm. 13x18/5"x7"/4¾"x6½" is ideal, still compact enough but almost twice the size.
    There's a few threads about the Toyo Sakai 4-3/4 x 6-1/2 on this forum. The link I posted to 5x7blog on making a 5x7 back for it has some good pictures of it: https://5x7blog.wordpress.com/2017/1...-standard-5x7/
    It was made in the 1960s and perhaps into the early 70s, so you're unlikely to find anything on Toyo's websites about it, even the archive.org versions. As of the 1990s and 00s, even 5x7 was a minority interest compared to 4x5 and 8x10, and half-plate even more so, so that aspect was a curiosity. You can read Q-T Luong's LFphoto writeup on 5x7 to get an idea of the 5x7 niche 20 years ago: https://www.largeformatphotography.info/5x7.html