Thread: Seiko Shutters - Reliability

Seiko Shutters - Reliability

In general how reliable are they? Have you found them repairable when they act up? I've only had one, ever, and it didn't work well and I was told it couldn't be fixed. I am wondering if my inclination to shy away from any used lens that has one is really appropriate. I've never had a Copal of any age that couldn't be fixed with a CLA. Ditto with Compurs, Acmes, Betax(es) Rapax and all the other usual suspects.

Thanks.

Joel Edmondson

Re: Seiko Shutters - Reliability

Had several over the years and I actually developed a preference for them. Had the Seiko 0 in my 135 Fujinon W cleaned, lubed and adjusted by Carol (Flutot) a couple of years back though there was nothing wrong with it (my favorite lens). Nowadays if I find a Fujinon in a Seiko I tend to go for them. I hope if you go the Seiko route that your experience mirrors mine!
    Joel

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    I've only had one, ever, and it didn't work well and I was told it couldn't be fixed.
    Thanks.
    This doesn't happen just in the area of photography. I'm been told many times by many "people" regarding many things that "it can't be fixed". I've learned to interpret that as "I can't fix it", "I don't have the parts", "I want to sell you something else", "It's too much trouble for me", etc., etc. More often than not, I've found someone who could fix it -- or I fixed it myself.

One thing to keep in mind with shutters is that while you might have a rough idea about how old it is, you really don't know anything about how it was used, how often it was used, and under what conditions it was used. I beautiful newish shutter might have been abused, while an old clunker might have been tenderly cared for.

Seiko's do seem to have a weakness in that either the cocking gear gets stripped or the tab on the slow speed escapement breaks off. Both require parts from a donor shutter to fix, but honestly they are not that hard or expensive to buy on the used market anymore (especially if you buy shutters for parts). So I don't see a reason not to use them in general.

I have them on several older Fuji lenses that I've used for many years and not a one has had any issues nor even been CLA'd. I test the shutter speeds every once in awhile to make sure they're staying fairly consistent, but that's it. If I needed one worked on, I'd send it off to Carol.

I had a Seiko shutter of a Mamiya TLR lens serviced in 1997. It still runs like a clock - I mentioned this to the (same) mechanic when I received an adjusted and cleaned Seiko shutter (with a Fujinon LF lens) in January 2022 and said this will last my lifetime and he smiled politely...

I have about ten Seikos. All currently working.