Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Backpack for 4x5 or 617

Re: Backpack for 4x5 or 617

Quote Originally Posted by fiddle View Post
    I have a 40L REI hiking pack, not the best, but thats a different subject. Have my 4x5, lenses, etc in a cheap camera cube i got on Amazon, inside the pack, with room for other stuff. Flew with the setup recently, no issues.

That is the concept followed by the now discontinued PhotoBackpacker line of LF gear. They used a Redwing backpack and dedicated LF protective boxes that all were secured inside with hook-and-loop fastening.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Another option, from a "tactical" gear outfit.

https://hazard4.com/photo-gear/pillbox.html
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

For the benefit of others, there is room in the 24L for the 617 Fuji camera HOWEVER, due to the ability to configure the inserts in only certain ways, it really doesn't work. The overall design and construction is good but I may opt to buy pick-and-pull foam that fits the bag and use that as an insert. Costly but I suspect it would hold the camera pretty well.

Brian

In the past, with DSLR-type dividers, I'd cut them where needed and sew or glue a strip of velcro to the new end.
    My 20L holds a digital camera, so the dividers work fine. But the 32L houses an 8x10, so some "cut-and-paste" was necessary.
    Same goes for the dividers in hard cases, which are made to suit DSLRs with lenses attached.

My "little" camera (5x7 Speed Graphic) fits well in a Jansport Equinox.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by bmikiten View Post
    I appreciate that but I also have to bring this on a plane as carry-on luggage. I should have mentioned that as well.

Brian
    I tried putting my new 4x5 in one of those carry ons with the rollers. The problem was the expandable pull collapses into the middle area where the camera had to go. So just keep that in mind. You lose depth in the middle of the unit. So the depth measurements in the specs were only valid on each side of the collapsible puller.

I have always used Kelty Redwing packs, with padded cases adapted from camp stoves. Then 15 years ago I sent the pack to a repair place and they put a full zipper in. I always carry a large garbage bag to lay my pack down.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I tried putting my new 4x5 in one of those carry ons with the rollers. The problem was the expandable pull collapses into the middle area where the camera had to go. So just keep that in mind. You lose depth in the middle of the unit. So the depth measurements in the specs were only valid on each side of the collapsible puller.
    Oh, I had to return it and got one of these F64 BPX backpack (no wheels). Wow, They've gone up 33% in two years. I paid $150, now they're $200. Those side cases come off and have carrying straps. I can put (5) 4x5 holders in each one. I don't hike with it so I can't tell you how great they are for that. Check measurements to see if they can be used for carry-on. I put my Chamonix 4x5, 4 lenses, a meter, a micro 4/3 digital camera, filters, loupes, and other accessories. It's pretty big. It has a roll up rain cover that you can use to lay it down on the ground.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...rch=yes&sts=ma

I ended up getting the Tenba 24L and then using pick foam from a Pelican case. The viewfinders fit in foam cases above the 180mm lens and the film in the top. It isn't perfect but given the timing issues and the space limitations, this will get the job done and prevent damage on the plane. Posted for others in the future. Thanks to all for the ideas.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0383 (1).jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	224724