Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Focus accuracy vs speed on 4x5 for studio portraits - rangefinder vs Groundglass

multiplex

Re: Focus accuracy vs speed on 4x5 for studio portraits - rangefinder vs Groundglass

Quote Originally Posted by Kuljit View Post
    But experience with medium format cameras does carry over to view cameras to a certain degree Mr Fromm!
    Hi Kuljit

How's that ? Do you mean banter/connection with the sitter/making them at ease ( or not ) ?
    (added later ). When I started making portraits I always set the camera up and focused on a tripod and used a shutter release no matter the format
    ( I did this at first with 35mm then 120 and eventually with 4x5 + ) I can see what you mean if that's what you are talking about. The dance is sort of the same but
    a little different ...

John
    Last edited by jnantz; 7-Feb-2022 at 06:56. Reason: thought of something else ..

Re: Focus accuracy vs speed on 4x5 for studio portraits - rangefinder vs Groundglass

I have both the Arca 4x5 SLR and a few Graflex SLRs. The Arca is a unique piece no doubt, but it can be finicky as diameter of the curtain rollers are small, and it's a dual-curtain instead of the Graflex which is a single curtain, and with larger diameter rollers. The Arca is a lot lighter and will focus closer, and is smaller. But the Graflex is simpler.

The TWR Cambo is a nice solution too. I do like that one a lot, and you can use different focal lengths than the SLRs (down to 150mm, the SLRs are usually limited to about 170+mm due to mirror clearances, though maybe slightly less with portraits).

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    The only one I am immediately aware of is the 4x5 Arca Swiss, Good Luck finding one of those (or the accessories). BUT the Graflex SLR's are quite venerable and wonderful for LF portraiture. I had a Super D with Auto Aperture and sometimes I miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    Hi Kuljit

How's that ? Do you mean banter/connection with the sitter/making them at ease ( or not ) ?
    (added later ). When I started making portraits I always set the camera up and focused on a tripod and used a shutter release no matter the format
    ( I did this at first with 35mm then 120 and eventually with 4x5 + ) I can see what you mean if that's what you are talking about. The dance is sort of the same but
    a little different ...

John
    Hi John, that's exactly what I meant that "the dance is sort of the same" . The shutter speed and aperture are decided and set before pressing the shutter release, yes LF has few more steps involved and that's all good. Most LF experts on this forum are encouraging

Interesting Youtube on NYC Photographer shooting portraits with Sinar F2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7r8pB0Dpsw
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

He could have taken those with any 45 camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    He could have taken those with any 45 camera.
    Agreed of course but it's the one he wants to use
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Agreed of course but it's the one he wants to use
    It’s the one that was given to him.

Thanks for sharing Sinar F2 video, very nice Mr. Unkefer

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Kuljit View Post
    Hi John, that's exactly what I meant that "the dance is sort of the same" . The shutter speed and aperture are decided and set before pressing the shutter release, yes LF has few more steps involved and that's all good. Most LF experts on this forum are encouraging
    yea, there isn't much mystique around LF..
    I still don't bother with a RF ..

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    yea, there isn't much mystique around LF..
    I still don't bother with a RF ..
    Thanks John, yea no RF, going with Sinar F2