Thread: Fujinon 250mm f/6.7 odd extra part

Fujinon 250mm f/6.7 odd extra part

My wife ordered this lens for my birthday this month. Sweet wife to think of large format items for my 62nd birthday. This is a Fujinon 250mm f/6,7. It's on its way from Japan. One thing I noticed was an odd mount between the shutter and the lens board. Can anyone tell me what that is? I plan to put this lens on a Sinar board, but figured I'd ask first.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuji1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	224205

Name:	fuji2.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	224206

Name:	fuji3.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	224207
    "Photographs don't lie, they just don't tell the truth" - Lawrence Clark Powell

Re: Fujinon 250mm f/6.7 odd extra part

Looks like an extension that would serve the same purpose as a top hat board. Maybe the previous owner needed a little more extension than their bellows allowed. Btw Happy Birthday, turned 62 myself last month.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    Looks like an extension that would serve the same purpose as a top hat board. Maybe the previous owner needed a little more extension than their bellows allowed. Btw Happy Birthday, turned 62 myself last month.

Roger
    Thanks Roger. Belated birthday wishes to you. So, can I remove the shutter easily from that extension or would you just leave it alone?

Wista made boards with non-removable extension cones, and some removable, stackable, extension cones. Some are shown here:

http://www.subclub.org/toko/access.htm

These were typically used on lenses longer than 250mm, but work on cameras with very short bellows, as well.

Since you are going to use the lens on a Sinar board, you got a nice birthday present. These Wista boards are hard to find and you can get some nice CASH for it -- regardless of which type it is.

I'm not interested myself, simply because my only lens that needed extra help is a Fujinon T 600mm -- and I put it on a Beseler 2", enlarging lens, extension cone (a LOT cheaper than a Wista extension), and bolted to a Wista board!

I've never removed a front element and shutter from an "extension cone". Is the shutter easily removable from the extension? The only other lens I have with an extension is a Sinar marked Scheneider 90mm Super Angulon f/5.6 from the early 90's.

It's just like any other board. There is a ring lock / jam nut on the back of the cone keeping the shutter in place. You probably need to unscrew the rear element to gain access. Since the cone is not too deep, your tool will probably reach. If not, use one or two screwdrivers. Remember the jam nut unscrews COUNTER-clockwise.

Given that it will make swings and tilts more wonky than they already might be, depending on your camera, I'd take it off.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

You should definitely take it off if you don't need the extension. I only use one on my 600mm lens, and I can't remember ever doing any swings, shifts, or tilts at 600mm -- but anything is possible, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Wista made boards with non-removable extension cones, and some removable, stackable, extension cones.
    Since you are going to use the lens on a Sinar board, you got a nice birthday present. These Wista boards are hard to find and you can get some nice CASH for it -- regardless of which type it is.
    I went to BH Photo-Video and saw Wista extended lens boards going for $169 +. This gift from Mrs. Blomquist may end up being a double present since I won't need the Wista board and could make a few bucks off of it. I am standardizing everything to Sinar boards since I still have a Sinar F 4x5 and another 8x10 which uses Sinar boards.

Agree that it's not standard for a Fujnon 250/6.7 and could result in some odds optical effects when using movements. My 250/6.7 doesn't have anything like that extension. Best regards and good luck. Joe