Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: "Digital" View Camera

"Digital" View Camera

As a photography 'seeker' I've kept up with MR for four or five years now. Let's see .... I remember the Rollei he gave up on partly because it fritzed out on him in damp weather. Then he had a brief love affair with a Mamiya rangefinder. He then had a tragic and heart rending fling with a Pentax 6x7. Then came the 1Ds, 1Ds II and the Contax 645 and now the Linhoff. He also has a thing going on the side with video. The guy writes about gear for his website. He's interesting.

My theory on the Linhoff is that he was really blown away with Clyde Butcher's work when he interviewed him for his video journal he puts out. I subscribe to this and it is worth the money and time. He had a segment a while back on Johnson's work with his scanning back. Great. This segment on Butcher was really great. Butcher shoots with 4 x 5, 5 x 7, 8 x and up to 11 x 14, scans with a creao in 8 bit and makes B&W prints up to 6' by 16' that will make you weep. Seeing how he does it, how he prints and develops his work was one of the most instructive and inspiring things I've found in all my seeking so far.

I'm so glad I have gone through much of my trial and error as far as gear goes as a voyeur on the web rather than actually by spending thousands more than I have in real time real life. This latest article of his on the Linhoff has proven to me without doubt ... without reservation that LF is the best ... hands down ... no caveats .... no question. For me. When it was just the astronomical costs with digital I was still given to dreaming and even longing .... but when I realized that you could not focus the stupid thing and that swings and tilts were virtually impossible. It was a huge AHAH! experience. I'm free! I'm right where I wanna be! Well ..... maybe an 8 x 10 would be something to think about.

"Digital" View Camera

He'd get laughed off the set if he called the DP a "DOP." All he needs is an "E" and he has a name for himself.
    jbhogan

"Digital" View Camera

I'm sure JB has a nice Arri one or some such... ;-)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

"Digital" View Camera

Actually I don't have one, Tim. I keep thinking about buying one. The MarkV is the one to have. Everything else is for the tourists!

http://www.alangordon.com/r_camaccessories.htm

Big Negs Rock!

"Digital" View Camera

DOP is the standard initials used in Europe and virtually everywhere in the world. To my knowledge "DP" is used only in the USA. An Arri would be considerd "small format" on this forum, unless you had the 65mm, then it would be MF.

Cheers,

MW
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

"Digital" View Camera

as JB's the only one on here with his own entry on imdb that I know of I try not to get into arguments with him about film making...
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

"Digital" View Camera

though I guess you could be Mark Woods (I) ?

Big Negs Rock!

"Digital" View Camera

I am Mark Woods (I) and you can see some examples of my work at: www.markwoods.com. I've been a Director of Photography for 25 years. That's a lot of film under the bridge. ;-)

Kind Regards,
    MW
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

"Digital" View Camera

That's what I thought after reading your post - strangely enough I've seen the "He'd get laughed off the set if he called the DP a "DOP." argument made before by uninformed usaians before...

Big Negs Rock!

"Digital" View Camera

Hey Tim,

The first time I was called a DOP, I was puzzeled and had to ask the person (a friend of mine) what the heck it ment. Since then, I've become accustomed to it -- especially since my agent is UK based. ;-)

Kind Regards,
    MW
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com