Google 'contemporary Russian photographers', google search a Russian photographer name Georgi Rosov, whose work with a 'monocle' inspired me to create my own single element lenses, you'll find that issues of format, and availability of gear notwithstanding, Russian photography/Russian photographers have and are producing interesting/exciting/inspirational work, much of it is simply amazing.

Before searching/researching Russian photography, I had no idea of the depth and quality of the work there, it rivals anything produced anywhere, and there's a lot of it. I'm not expert on this, I stumbled onto Georgi Rosov and other excellent Russian photographers when I was researching 'do it yourself' lenses, Russians call these monocles and for many Russians they're commonplace. I been check out this for 2-3yrs, enough to know that the amount of work is staggering.

Again, I'm no expert, but I can assure you that just because folks here don't know about it, doesn't mean the work doesn't exist, once you google enough searches on Russian photographers/contemporary Russian photographers, you'll find work that is endless.