Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Why does the US seem to produce LF photographers?

Why does the US seem to produce LF photographers?

Google 'contemporary Russian photographers', google search a Russian photographer name Georgi Rosov, whose work with a 'monocle' inspired me to create my own single element lenses, you'll find that issues of format, and availability of gear notwithstanding, Russian photography/Russian photographers have and are producing interesting/exciting/inspirational work, much of it is simply amazing.

Before searching/researching Russian photography, I had no idea of the depth and quality of the work there, it rivals anything produced anywhere, and there's a lot of it. I'm not expert on this, I stumbled onto Georgi Rosov and other excellent Russian photographers when I was researching 'do it yourself' lenses, Russians call these monocles and for many Russians they're commonplace. I been check out this for 2-3yrs, enough to know that the amount of work is staggering.

Again, I'm no expert, but I can assure you that just because folks here don't know about it, doesn't mean the work doesn't exist, once you google enough searches on Russian photographers/contemporary Russian photographers, you'll find work that is endless.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

You can see Georgi Rozov's incredible work on his website, www.rozov.ru .......it's high energy, high risk, and most of the time high payoff, Russians are inspired shooters, they shoot everything, all the time, everywhere.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

It's one thing to shoot everything in sight. It's quite another to edit out the chaff.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Have you checked out the work of Rozov and other Russian photographers? They shoot everything in sight, and the best of what they shot is as brilliant as anything I've seen anywhere else.

Do you get a keeper evey time you fire the shutter? And if you don't, ..........so what..........if your idea of enjoyment is to shoot everything in sight then you've got the right to do that to regardless of whether you're coming up w/keepers or w/chaff.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

Since nobody has mentioned this yet, let me suggest that one of the reasons for the large proliferation of LF photographers in the US just might be due to Fred Picker. His Zone VI newsletter was certainly a source of information, education, inspiration and motivation for many a photo hobbyist. It would be interesting to learn just how many copies of the Zone VI newsletter were published. Perhaps Bruce Barlow or Richard Ritter may know.

Later the Zone VI videos probably helped other photo hobbists learn about the wonders of LF photography. I wonder how many copies of those videos exist? Bruce Barlow do you have any idea?

My own personal interest in LF is due to Picker's influence. I was introduced to his newsletters as a college student in 1979 and found that every quarter with the arrival of a new issue, the creative juices received a shot in the arm. View Camera and Lens Works magazine do much the same today (provide some inspiration).

John

AA said in a letter to (I think) Dorthea Lange, that he would travel the world when he was no longer thrilled by what was growing outside his front door. Paraphrased of course.

"Since nobody has mentioned this yet, let me suggest that one of the reasons for the large proliferation of LF photographers in the US just might be due to Fred Picker"

Sure.

The tape "Printing with Fred Picker" rescued me.
    Although a "difficult person" , Fred's contribution was decisive!

I know for myself that Fred made a huige difference. Through his catalogue, books, tapes, equipment packages and newsletter's etc., Fred made getting into LF allot more user friendly.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"