Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving to Ilford from Kodak, begrudgingly…

Re: Moving to Ilford from Kodak, begrudgingly…

I shoot Delta 100 in 4x5 and soup it in Ilford DD-X. I'm very happy with the results I'm getting.
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

Morning all, Merry Christmas!

Thanks for your replies, both with experience shared along with some other considerations.
    I know it might be heretical for some, but running a business typically means little to no time for darkroom work. I do plan on sticking with darkroom work going forward, but I would like to eventually scan negatives and output digital, enlarged negatives for printing via carbon. Still much to learn, but this would mean I can start from straight digital files, or scanned film. While I would much prefer to use Azo or Lodima, contact chloride papers are basically DOA for me, sadly.

I’ll pick up a box of 4x5 Delta 100 and start some testing.

cheers,
    Dan

Welcome aboard. I started using Ilford instead of Kodak in 1974.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    Morning all, Merry Christmas!

Thanks for your replies, both with experience shared along with some other considerations.
    I know it might be heretical for some, but running a business typically means little to no time for darkroom work. I do plan on sticking with darkroom work going forward, but I would like to eventually scan negatives and output digital, enlarged negatives for printing via carbon. Still much to learn, but this would mean I can start from straight digital files, or scanned film. While I would much prefer to use Azo or Lodima, contact chloride papers are basically DOA for me, sadly.

I’ll pick up a box of 4x5 Delta 100 and start some testing.

cheers,
    Dan
    If it’s a contact chloride paper you want, Delta 100 is a near perfect match for Salt (ammonium chloride) printing.

Just looked at some fine prints from 8x10 Ilford Delta 400. Sure wish they still made it in that size. They really do look nice.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    If it’s a contact chloride paper you want, Delta 100 is a near perfect match for Salt (ammonium chloride) printing.
    Please explain some more. Time is a bit limited right now, but I am happy to start reading about alt processes if you're able to share some links or references you might recommend. Consider me green on this topic, a total newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    Please explain some more. Time is a bit limited right now, but I am happy to start reading about alt processes if you're able to share some links or references you might recommend. Consider me green on this topic, a total newbie.
    Hi Daniel.
    Here is a very basic Salt Printing primer: https://www.alternativephotography.com/a-dash-of-salt/

A salt print is Henry Fox Talbot's "photogenic drawing" process, by which you create your own POP paper by first salting an appropriate piece of paper with either table salt or (better) Ammonium chloride, and then introducing silver nitrate. The decomposition process results in a paper coated with Silver chloride, which is light sensitive. You then contact print a negative on the paper using either a UV exposure box, or sunlight. Exposure can take anywhere from a couple of minutes, to an hour or more. After that, you basically wash the excess silver from the paper, fix and wash it. Its a contact chloride print process, similar to AZO paper.

Scan of a recent salt print from a glass negative: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...59922760_h.jpg

And here is Ellie Young's much more detailed volume, from which you can learn almost everything you need to know to make superb salt prints: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...IGqBU202_DIKzQ

Ellie has a book on the subject: https://www.alternativephotography.c...-print-manual/
    And Christina Z. Anderson's book is also excellent: https://www.amazon.com/Salted-Paper-.../dp/1138280224

I migrated from Kodak to Ilford and survived
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White