Thread: Video: Testing Old Polaroid Type 55

Video: Testing Old Polaroid Type 55

Hi everyone! I made a video where I'm testing this old favourite of mine. I forgot I had an opened box, sitting in my shed... Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HyYRB4JWkw

Re: Video: Testing Old Polaroid Type 55

I watched this video earlier today and your video should give incentive to others to actually test their old type 55.

I truly wish Polaroid 55 in both 4 x 5 in. And type 655 was still on the market.

Digital kit is interesting, and perhaps, if I had. Phase one or Hasselblad d.back, I might no miss these films so much, but I doubt it.

I miss working with these films, for good reason but I guess I'd have to win the big lottery to make it happen again.

Godspeed and Merry Holidays to all of you here.

Merry Christmas,
    Eli

I have a refrigerator full of the stuff - it’s time to start shooting it.

I’d consider adding a single pass of a dedicated, clean roller over the entire sandwich after pulling it through the rollers - the pod doesn’t always disperse well and the pass of the roller has brought me either better results than without or simply a bit of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by joelio View Post
    I have a refrigerator full of the stuff - it’s time to start shooting it.

I’d consider adding a single pass of a dedicated, clean roller over the entire sandwich after pulling it through the rollers - the pod doesn’t always disperse well and the pass of the roller has brought me either better results than without or simply a bit of luck.
    I wish I had a refrigerator full of Type55!! I've only got about half a box left of this old stuff. Will miss it when it's gone. I have tried New55, but it's rubbish. I was in the kickstarter run. Out of 5 sheets ($15US a pop!), I got one sheet that was usable. Then I got another box a couple years later but never used it (about 5 years ago). Tried a sheet at the same time I tested the Type 55. All the chemical pods had hardened! Useless! I pulled all the film out (in the dark) and loaded them into holders. Just goes to show that Polaroid was making a superior product...but I' sure the pods will harden eventually. Best to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    I wish I had a refrigerator full of Type55!! I've only got about half a box left of this old stuff. Will miss it when it's gone. I have tried New55, but it's rubbish. I was in the kickstarter run. Out of 5 sheets ($15US a pop!), I got one sheet that was usable. Then I got another box a couple years later but never used it (about 5 years ago). Tried a sheet at the same time I tested the Type 55. All the chemical pods had hardened! Useless! I pulled all the film out (in the dark) and loaded them into holders. Just goes to show that Polaroid was making a superior product...but I' sure the pods will harden eventually. Best to use it.
    +1

I finished my last couple of boxes a few years ago. Had a few sheets where I was missing image area due to inconsistent chemical spread, but I didn't care! Type 55 was a truly spectacular film and I wish I had shot more of it when readily available. I, too, was part of the New55 Kickstarter, but had to settle for just the film emulsion in sleeves (like QuickLoads) for my reward. Later, when they were "up and running" I tried a couple of boxes, but the product spewed a ton of excess goo into my holders and I wasn't happy with the results.

Yeah - I’ve seen some curious results with the new stuff, though I’d be hard pressed to figure a use for a product that is both so expensive and so unpredictable.

Hi Joelio - can you explain the technique you suggest in a bit more detail? Do you use a roller (such as a brayer) with the packet lying on a bench? I was thinking of that or also of using a stiff straight edge, such as a baker’s bench scraper (gently) might work. I have an unopened box of the original Type 55 in the fridge, and am probably going to use it over the Summer and early Autumn.