Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I just screwed up and fell off the wagon

I just screwed up and fell off the wagon

Response to Mark's comment:

Step Three: "Made the decision to turn our will and our lives over to our lust for Photography as we understood it."

(BTW, no offense to any recovering substance abusers out there. Anyone curious about the actual Twelve Step Program can contact me privately off-line, if you wish.)

FWIW, IMHO, and if anyone is interested, we are, all of us, addicts. I mean this in the sense that we seem built to need to become "attached" to something. Whether sex, or money, or physical possessions, or knowledge, or pumping adrenaline, or anything (including photography or our particular perspective on "God," or 12-step group attendance.) It's just that Ethanol or Cocaine addictions, to name a few, can have far more serious effects on our health.

That said, wonderful things have been achieved by many of we "addicts." Walker Evans, Alfred Stieglitz, Edward Weston, etc.

That said, "addictions" (to whatever substance or idea or material object) can conveniently serve to insulate us from having to honestly confront our aloneness in a world we do not understand.

That said, anybody know where to get a 7x17 filmholder repaired?

every time i read one of these threads, i appreciate my wife more and more.

I sold some unused stuff, so now I have $1650 in the LF fund. My problem is, I have everything I could possibly use: 4x5's, 5x7, 8x10, lenses 65mm - 600mm. I already took a stab at ULF, decided it was not for me. There's nothing left to buy! What will I do?

I'm thinking about a second 8x10, dedicated to wide angle, since mine won't take a bag bellows. Or maybe a 120 Noblex...

Every time I read one of these threads, I appreciate my husband more and more. ;o)

Aaron: The difference is the stuff I buy I can turn around and sell and usually get my money back. The women buys stuff that is essentially worthless.

Diamonds, maybe? They tend to keep value pretty good, better than LF cameras even.

LOL.

Seriously, remember the two golden rules:

1. When they talk, men convey what they think and women express what they feel.

2. People in general and women in particular will often forget what you said or did (bought), but they'll alwyas remember how you made them feel.

So, maybe the next time the bug bites, split the funds between a camera and, say, a nice diamond pendant and chances are you won't have to squeeze the pooch. Perhaps you'll even get the boss to anticipate the next purchase?

Another upside to this strategy would be hedging the money so that the depreciation of the camera caused by wear and tear would be offset by the diamond's appeciation. Either way, it's a win-win situation.

And yeah, Scott, me too!

I could come home with a grenade launcher and my wife wouldn't notice. Just tell her it is a loaner while the other one is being repaired.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

"Have a look at some of the cowering posts seeking attention, and yes I do understand some are said with tongue in cheek but learn to stand by the choices you have made. Choices come with consequences. If you really fear your wife, or for that matter the choices you have made that much then the camera certainly isn't the problem."

Relax, it's a humorous thread (or it was until you and a couple others decided to don your Dr. Phil hats). Don't you think it's just a little presumptuous to be analyzing relationships and offering marital advice based on a couple lines posted in a large format photography internet group?
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Marko, If I spent the same amount on my wife as I spent on this camera I would have to give her cubic zirconia. That would be insulting.

mark, of course. But if you gave her a real diamond and told her what you just said, I'm willing to bet that she'd encourage you to upgrade real soon )

CXC,

Have you seen that new 'Cube' head by Arca Swiss?