I just received a batch of digital proofs (chromira, glossy paper) and sat down to review them. I generally wait until I get good light in the room for doing this, to see each print at its best. Today was unnaturally bright for the last few months - we're not talking a bright Australian sun here, but a very bright day for the south of England! And I got a shock - the prints were much lighter than I expected them to be, often unacceptably so. Although I'd chosen bright days before, this changed the prints completely.
This isn't the first time I'd contemplated the lighting conditions for prints - in my house, I realise the downlights won't be very kind to the prints, often leaving the walls a little gloomy. Yet other people might have bright houses, and a gallery (we all have our dreams!) would be very bright, with just the 'right' light.

We're not talking about overall brightness here - there are parts of images that need toning down, as well as some overall images.

How do other people make this decision? My feeling is, for now, the prints will be in my house, and those of a few other people often with similar lighting conditions, so I should print for that. But if the prints are seen by a curator, they'll be viewed in brighter 'gallery' conditions, and not look the way I want them to. This isn't exclusively a digital question - the same issues have come up in the past with my Cibas - I just avoided the issue then!
Suggestions?