Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Headless LF Enlargers Rise UP!.....................LED

Re: Headless LF Enlargers Rise UP!.....................LED

I’ve often imagined the same - a “perfect”, simple device with nothing to go out of alignment ever. It’s fun to dream things up.

While not anything like the simple design we envision, this crazy Heiland 20x24 horizontal enlarger positions and aligns itself automatically using lasers and motors . Ok, ok, alignment with the screen is to within +/-1mm so far from perfect and nowhere good enough for Drew, but anyway.

https://heilandelectronic.de/enlarger/lang:en

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    RE my previous post about a hypothetical enlarger so rugged and precise that it would be "perfect," with no re-calibration possible - I actually had something close to this with Nikon Multiphot. Had the complete system...multiple backs, light sources, etc. Oh...and all of the lenses!

Horrible to think that I'd rescued this (no charge to me as long as I hauled it all away) from a local medical school that was about to junk the entire thing! And sad to think that my own circumstances about fifteen years back did not allow me to hang on to it.

While the Multiphot may not have allowed the kind of extensions typical of the better purpose-built enlargers (Durst, DeVere, Etc.) - I'm sure it would still have done an admirable job.

Very much like my desire for LF autofocus studio camera

Hobbyist gear is ready for tinker

It can be done for less
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Never say never, Michael. But there are already enlarger chassis very resistant to ever getting out of alignment, but with the provision that if they ever do, they can be fine-tuned again. My Durst L184 chassis is like that, even more, my massive home built 8x10 machine. We had a pretty good earthquake jolt a couple days ago. Or look at the post and lintel Stonehenge design; who would have guessed they had enlargers back then? Just stick a big condenser lens between one of those gaps on a solstice, wrap the rest of the stone ring with opaque ox hides, plus a lightproof roof of course, and there you go. But even some of those stones fell. They should have bought a Durst to begin with.

ah that's the key Drew, to be able to fine tune accurately. the more accurate the tuning mechanisms are, the better quality in build. now we are nearing perfection!

My lab several years ago gave away several DeVere enlarger chassis. The bench Devere 4x5 had a closed loop head as did did the standing 8x10 chassis that I took. Another 4x5 and the 8x10 chassis wrtr headless as they were using it as a copy camera. I also took an extra 4x5 closed loop head with control box and a couple of ZBE controllers. Gave one to a fellow in Canada when his died.

Wouldn't mind setting up the second 8x10 chasis with an LED 8x10 head if one were available reasonably. The 5108 that I use has a manual dichroic head which is what I use for B&W printing. Have over 100 spare bulbs for when they burn out! Bought them NOS by the case at auction.

Most (4) were saved and only one 4x5 went to the trash bin!

Drew Wiley

Closed-loop feedback is nice for consistency, especially when printing color, but also a feature potentially sensitive to electronics foibles. My primary enlargers have it; my backup ones do not. That keeps me going even if there's an occasional maintenance issue.

Why did an image of a headless enlarger riding a black fire breathing horse come to mind when I saw this thread ?

Quote Originally Posted by MrFujicaman View Post
    Why did an image of a headless enlarger riding a black fire breathing horse come to mind when I saw this thread ?
    It might only be paper-safe if the horse burns sodium, or could be modified to do so. Darkroom heating could also be solved in this way . . . Are these black, fire-breathing horses available second-hand ???

How many are enlarging color?

Not I
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    How many are enlarging color?

Not I
    I am. Many other are, too. Perhaps not in the LF scene, but over at Photrio there's a pretty active interest in optical RA4 printing.