Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinion: Would a 90mm f8 or f6.8 lens be too dark for dawn and dusk landscape?

Re: Opinion: Would a 90mm f8 or f6.8 lens be too dark for dawn and dusk landscape?

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Just curious about what distinction Daniel is drawing.
    All of them are hot center to edge. They all can benefit by the cf if the fall off bothers you. Some people,it doesn’t. But that doesn’t mean that it is not there.

Re: Opinion: Would a 90mm f8 or f6.8 lens be too dark for dawn and dusk landscape?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    All of them are hot center to edge. They all can benefit by the cf if the fall off bothers you. Some people,it doesn’t. But that doesn’t mean that it is not there.
    Bob, I know how it works. I was just interested in knowing what distinction Daniel is drawing. Now I'm sorry I asked

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Just curious about what distinction Daniel is drawing.
    That is a very good question. Perhaps my conjectures aren't justified at all.

I don't know, in fact. But I don't see any need for a center filter here.

I heard this from time to time: lenses with larger apertures could have more falloff. I don't know if this is true. But I would like to consider and discuss this.

Here is another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Casper Lohenstein View Post
    That is a very good question. Perhaps my conjectures aren't justified at all.

I don't know, in fact. But I don't see any need for a center filter here.

I heard this from time to time: lenses with larger apertures could have more falloff. I don't know if this is true. But I would like to consider and discuss this.

Here is another one.

Faster lenses cover a larger circle then the slower ones. Fall off starts about 1/3rd out from the center of the circle. So, slower ones can exhibit more fall off since their circle of illumination is smaller.
    Your image shows fall off in the upper right corner.

Faster lenses cover a larger circle then the slower ones. Fall off starts about 1/3rd out from the center of the circle. So, slower ones can exhibit more fall off since their circle of illumination is smaller.
    Your image shows fall off in the upper right corner.

Ok, then I am blind. I have not seen a falloff in the upper right corner.

I have to learn and understand this lens.

It takes practice to focus in low light, placing a flashlight in the scene to focus on (and then remembering to retrieve it) is a pretty foolproof method. The infinity stops are a good idea as well. If you are shopping for a fast 90mm, Rodenstock (also branded as a Sinar lens) and Nikkor both made f/4.5 lenses in the 90mm focal length. I have a Sinar branded one and it's a great lens. I use my 90mm Super Angulon XL the most, as I do a lot of architecture with movements, so I like the additional coverage and being able to use a center filter.

FYI when comparing a 90mm to your 161mm, it is not an apples to apples comparison. A 90mm will be inherently a little brighter at infinity simply because it is closer to the focal plane than the 161mm.

-Joshua

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Casper Lohenstein View Post
    Ok, then I am blind. I have not seen a falloff in the upper right corner.

I have to learn and understand this lens.
    It’s the dark corner.

Sometimes I actually embrace a bit of corner falloff - can eliminate the need for "edge burning" as a means to help a viewer's eyes from wandering off the edge of a print.

On the other hand...in cases when I do find a bit of corner falloff to be somewhat distracting - its an easy matter to gently dodge these corners a bit, and with a bit of practice this gets so easy that the only reason I'd choose to seek out a center filter might be when shooting chromes.

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Sometimes I actually embrace a bit of corner falloff - can eliminate the need for "edge burning" as a means to help a viewer's eyes from wandering off the edge of a print.

On the other hand...in cases when I do find a bit of corner falloff to be somewhat distracting - its an easy matter to gently dodge these corners a bit, and with a bit of practice this gets so easy that the only reason I'd choose to seek out a center filter might be when shooting chromes.
    Or you want to make a series of matching prints easily.

Or you want to make a series of matching prints easily.
    I don't understand going to the expense of a bag bellows and a wide angle lens and getting hung up over a centre filter. The one that I purchased recently for a 75mm lens cost about the same as a new name brand polariser. I may soon be able to use it with an additional lens. With a couple of exceptions where the centre filter is unique to a specific lens, they aren't that expensive. Unless stopping down the lens two stops, or losing 1.5 to 2 stops of light, is a significant impediment to making the photograph, or you positively want falloff in the image, why not use one? Reading threads over the years, I'm left with the impression that a lot of people just have a psychological block about centre filters