Thread: Szarkowski retrospective at MoMA

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Szarkowski retrospective at MoMA

i'm far enough out of the loop that i almost missed this entirely ... my mom called me today to remind me it was in town.

can't wait to go. i've heard the work is stunning. thanks mom!

http://www.moma.org/exhibitions/2006/szarkowski.html

If this is the same exhibit as the one that was at the Milwaukee Art Museum recently (and it sounds like it is), it is definitely worth the trip.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

i'm sure it is ... it started in san francisco and has been slowly working its way east.

I saw the show (several times) at the Center for Creative Photography (in Tucson) late last summer. While in no way revolutionary, it was somehow reassuring in its affirmation of intelligent, literate, well-done photography.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

just saw the show yesterday. it was definitely worth seeing. quite small for a retrospective ... i'd guess there were 60 or so prints. a handful of them were truly wonderful--quiet, layered, rich, meditative work that comes right out of the tradition of late moderm american landscape photography that a lot people on this board seem to like. unfortunately, the ones i liked the most were among the ones that i'd seen reproduced in magazines and ads, so there weren't that many surprises.

actually there was one ... he had a few pictures that included his dog, Matthew Brady. this was especially funny because there was a small retrospective of william wegman's photographs in the next room. i liked learning that szarkowski was photographing a dog named after a great photographer 30 or more years before wegman got famous by turning the idea into a schtick.