Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT: Availability of 120 Film?

Terence

OT: Availability of 120 Film?

120 is definitely getting harder to find. On vacation in Colorado I had to resort to bribing a precoessing lab owner to sell me a few rolls of his personal stock when I ran low.

Until three years ago I COULD actually get Kodak B&W 120 film at my local CVS (Hoboken, NJ), but I think that was because the manager was a photographer.

Just kidding, Bill. I think 120 at the drug store went into decline around the time they discontinued Verichrome Pan. One issue might be that Kodak and Fuji expect professional color films to be refrigerated, and drug stores and markets don't offer that option for film (though they do for milk and cheese).

Thank you Guys for your straight answers. I should have explained my motive for asking -- I was wondering about the practacility of taking a folding 120 camera for backup when on the road with the 4x5. It doesn't make any sense to carry an extra bunch of film along for such purpose. Apparently it isn't a good idea; guess that I'll just continue to pack away a small 35mm "just in case". Thanks again.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

A compact MF camera is a great backup to LF, and a convenience for imagery too fleeting to capture via tripod. Why not buy the film in advance? How much film might you shoot? 5 rolls, 60 frames, weigh nothing and take up hardly any space. Only risk is leftovers.

"No problem. Here in New York, you can get 5x12" Kodacolor Gold 400 in blister packs at the
    grocery store by the checkout right next to the dry plates."

"Just kidding, Bill. I think 120 at the drug store went into decline around the time they
    discontinued Verichrome Pan. One issue might be that Kodak and Fuji expect professional
    color films to be refrigerated, and drug stores and markets don't offer that option for film
    (though they do for milk and cheese)."

--David A. Goldfarb

David,
    Thanks for clearing that up. I was about to put my house up for sale and move to NYC.

I don't travel anywhere expecting to buy film on the road- even on a trip to New York City. But it's true, 120 film has been a professional format for a long time; Kodak discontinued their roll-film cameras about 1963, when the 126 Instamatic came in. Some formats (620,127) survived 30 years after that. So 40+ years later, the survival of 120 film is down to portrait/wedding shooters and studio commercial photographers. Long may 120 live!

When I am on the road for commercial shoots. I only shoot 120. Freestyle is a phone call away and all the film I want is waiting for me the next day at my motel.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

"It doesn't make any sense to carry an extra bunch of film along for such purpose. Apparently it isn't a good idea; guess that I'll just continue to pack away a small 35mm "just in case". "

Suit yourself... but if film availability is an issue, why not leave the 4x5 at home too? You're not going to find any film for that camera at the corner quicky mart! 120 film isn't *that* bulky, is it?

When I'm in your situation, I often leave the MF at home because the camera is bulky. In fact, I also leave my F-3 at home for the same reason! My Retina IIIc is compact, quiet, and reliable... but I ALWAYS end up regretting that decision when I'm squinting at those tiny 35mm negs.

take the MF and film. Out of the boxes, but in the wrapper hey take up no space at all. It is amazing how many of those suckers will fit into a diaper bag without the wife even noticing.....At least until the Airport X-ray guy hauls her over to the side, does the complete search and asks her to unload the bag. My Butt was in the wringer for a while after that.