Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technikardan vs. Arca Swiss... which to dump?

Technikardan vs. Arca Swiss... which to dump?

too much redundant gear...

so, which gets the most votes to stay?

The two set-ups are too close for me to call (both have bag bellows, Arca has folding rail + 14" rail).

Technikardan 45

or

Arca Swiss Basic

hmm - one is just that little bit more rigid, one is just a bit more compact - both weight more than my 8x10! Both have very slight pros and cons - one is better in one area and vice versa

Have at it linhof and arca fans :-)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Well, you're one of the few who is fortunate enough to have both in hand. You tell us!

If I were so fortunate, I suspect I'd like the Linhof because I have other Linhof stuff that would be compatible, but I'd like the versatile modular design of the Arca. I guess if you want to go 8x10" with the Arca, that would be a reason to keep it over the TK.

i owned both and dumped the TK45S and have never once regretted the decision.

Hello:

In your fortunate situation, I'd keep both. The Arca is the Meccano set of LF. Keeping it retains your format (8x10 to 6x9) and setup options.

Best to you
    Frank Johnston

"Well, you're one of the few who is fortunate enough to have both in hand. You tell us!
    If I were so fortunate, I suspect I'd like the Linhof because I have other Linhof stuff that would be compatible, but I'd like the versatile modular design of the Arca. I guess if you want to go 8x10" with the Arca, that would be a reason to keep it over the TK."

well - I already have an 8x10 I'm more than happy with (Phillips). Fortunate? probably more like dogged. The Arca is what was called the F-Basic - which was sort of half a step up from the Discovery. It had been reasonably well used and a large camera store had it on their used shelf for donkeys years before I made them an offer. Took a bit of cleaning up and adjusting - but works like new now. Then I hunted down bargain (relatively speaking...) folding rail and WA bellows. But trying to find those super-size-me Arca kits cheap is a lifelong quest.

Same with the Technikardan - the best deal in Linhofs has to be to buy one with crapped out bellows for cheap and then get a new set of bellows made for a decent price. (Again, it's the TK not the TK S - obviously been used a bit, but not abused. Took a bit of cleaning up - and it came with bag bellows and compendium shade thrown in - have you seen how much the latter costs btw! - that I could definitely make out of Meccano...)

BTW - what is it with a company like Linhof that can't seem to make a decent set of bellows? I don't know how many Technikas etc I've seen with bellows just falling apart - some barely a few years old. Yet a 20 year old Toyo, close to 50 year old Super Graphic and many more still have their original bellows going strong?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

I've owned both and they are each great. But I'd sell them and wait for a sweet Phillips 4x5 to turn up. Mmm... Phillips is the best field gear IMHO.

If I wanted to use really long lenses or studio work maybe I'd keep one, probably the Arca, because I prefer base tilts and disliked unfolding the TK.

Michael Alpert

Tim,

I suggest that you group together prints that you've made using each camera. This less technical and more results-oriented approach might help you to decide which camera is the one to keep.

dump either one in my direction...

As Scott said. Keep the Arca faithfully or cross it with the metric version, it's even more addictive.

Send them to me. In a couple of years i will have a good enough feel to render an opinion.