Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone using Forte paper?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Anyone using Forte paper?

i selected developer for the tonal scale, used a very weak selenium solution (1:20 or so) briefly adjust the tint of the final print, and then nelson gold toner (diluted 1:2, much weaker than recommended) for warmth. fortezo is very active and responds more quickly and intensely to toners than other papers i've used. dilute developers slow the reaction enough to make it controlable.

there's also a complex interaction between degree of development and final print color after toning. it took me five years to figure this out, but i think i have it pretty well dialed in now. i can share my notes if anyone's interested.

luckily the paper's back on the market so all this arcane knowledge isn't completely obsolete. yet.

Personally I like LPD for all my printing. It lasts a long time in the tray and has really nice rich tones. I usually dilute it to 1:1 for a cooler tone but have diluted out to 1:5 for a slightly warmer presentation on occasion.

Forte makes a warm tone paper and a cold tone paper. As well Forte makes three kinds of developers: warm, cold and neutral. I use Forte Cold tone paper and I found that using either Forte cold or neutral developer left my blacks weak, giving them a blue cast. Now I use the cold paper with the warm developer, which gives me a nice overall neutral tone with deep, rich blacks.