Thread: Experience with Harman Direct Positive paper

Experience with Harman Direct Positive paper

I made series of photographs on 16x20" Harman Direct Positive paper and I noticed the following.

The paper was considerably curled on the edges when taken out of the box, forming a flat bowl. I opened two boxes and both had the same property.

When wet this issue disappeared but appeared again after trying.

Is this something to be expected with this product and what are the suggestions to flatten the paper (both pre-exposure and after development options are welcome).

I developed under safe light and noticed that the paper had very good tonal range when developing but it was destroyed in the fixer in what the paper obtained its famous high contrast.

Has somebody else noticed this? I suppose that flashing would lower the contrast but is there a chemical option to control it?

Re: Experience with Harman Direct Positive paper

I've been using the Harman Direct Positive paper in 11x14 size. It has a slight curl out of the box, which is not ideal but as the emulsion is in the inner part of the curl it helps me load film holders with the correct orientation. I develop it in a JOBO print drum so I have not had a chance to observe the development in trays like you have... I have yet to experiment with pre flashing but a lot has been written about that. I just accept it as a high contrast medium. It is very curly when it is fully dry. I put the print in my 11x14 contact printing frame for a few days and it becomes nice and flat.

Quote Originally Posted by cp_photo View Post
    I've been using the Harman Direct Positive paper in 11x14 size. It has a slight curl out of the box, which is not ideal but as the emulsion is in the inner part of the curl it helps me load film holders with the correct orientation. I develop it in a JOBO print drum so I have not had a chance to observe the development in trays like you have... I have yet to experiment with pre flashing but a lot has been written about that. I just accept it as a high contrast medium. It is very curly when it is fully dry. I put the print in my 11x14 contact printing frame for a few days and it becomes nice and flat.
    In 16x20 case the curl was about 1 cm from the base. Yes, had the emulsion been on the other side, it would have proven impossible to use for me as I used it without holders (I built a camera obscura for this).

I did notice some slight curl, but not as pronounced as you describe.

You may want to have a look at this paper where the Harman DPP is profiled:

https://marcoannaratone.photography/Tests-PDFs/thumbs

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Marco Annaratone View Post
    I did notice some slight curl, but not as pronounced as you describe.

You may want to have a look at this paper where the Harman DPP is profiled:

https://marcoannaratone.photography/Tests-PDFs/thumbs

Cheers
    Good stuff. Thank you! You have been really thorough.

I also had experience with Imago Positive Paper. I bought is by mistake actually but it is an interesting product. I was able to use some RGB LED bulbs to work with it. I was an emergency measure as the place I stayed was equipped with old Kaiser filtered incandescent lights (that are completely useless with this paper) and I was not able to source anything proper as fast as needed.