Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A scary schneideritis.

A scary schneideritis.

You would be hard pressed to see any effect of this defect on the film if it exists at all.. The reason is that it is very difficult for light to reach the effected area without beiing bend by the lens in the right direction. Even if the light reaches the area it is difficult for it to leave it in a direction that could reach the film. What you see as white area is the light that doesn't reach the film - it goes to your eyes instead. If you try to see it from the other side of the lens you won't see the same thing at all. Use of a good lens shade or not is much more important, yet photographers think that using a dark slide as a shade is enough, because they do not see the flare light that goes on the film. The psychology of our vison is very deceptive in these cases.

A scary schneideritis.

That ain't much, you should see some of my Boyer lenses.

If if pleases you to be that way, don't happy, be worry.

A scary schneideritis.

I have a couple of old Symmars (210 and 360) that are perfect... no signs of Schneideritis at all! (Knock on wood...)

Had a newer Rodenstock 90 Grandagon that developed separation in spite of being coddled. Pleased me to no ends!

Also have a couple of Nikkors (150, 240) and a couple of Fujinons (90 and 300T)... no problems at all! (Knock on wood,,,)

Win a few, lose a few.... life can be SOOO unpredictable.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

A scary schneideritis.

Why could possibly be unique to Schneider lenses vs. other makers lenses to cause this fungus?

Makes you wonder if there was slow growing fungus in the plant where they were made?

A scary schneideritis.

it's not a fungus
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

A scary schneideritis.

If you look closely at the shutter it also looks like it has been spray painted black?

A scary schneideritis.

Tim, then can you please elaborate??

A scary schneideritis.

wg, PMFJI.

Lens makers paint the rims of lens' elements with black paint to reduce reflections from those air-glass interfaces. For some reason, a number of makers including, in alphabetical order, Boyer, Rodenstock, Schneider, and Zeiss have used and those in operation may still use paint that adheres poorly to the glass. Or may use a pre-painting surface treatment that doesn't do what's intended. In any event, the paint slowly separates from the glass.

That's Schneideritis. Fungi aren't involved. Its not unique to Schneider. On that point, why do you think I named Boyer, Rodenstock, and Zeiss as well as Schneider? Because I have lenses made by them that have Schneideritis. All that Schneideritis seems to affect is lenses' resale value.

Take my advice to the original poster. Don't happy, be worry.

A scary schneideritis.

Dan, thanks for the explanation.... so was this paint noticed at some point in time, and then not used anymore by the lens makers? If so, when? Why is some of the Schneider lenses immune to this, such as the ones mentioned above, only because they are newer, and the offending paint was no longer used?

A scary schneideritis.

For what its worth I seem to recall (but don't hold me to this!!!) that the problem is a type of oxidisation of the paint - hence the reason that it doesn't flake off and coat the inside glass with thousands of specks! A good anology was given that it is like the crazed surface of an enamel mug!