Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bogen Pro Gear 405, 468MG ball head, any users?

Bogen Pro Gear 405, 468MG ball head, any users?

The Bogen Pro Gear Head 405 sure looks interesting for those of us who like a combination of slightly low profile and geared movements. AT 3.5 lbs, it's not light, but sure does fit a niche for heavy cameras. Has anyone tried it?

<http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/templates/templates.php3?sectionid=10&itemid=1635>

The 468MG ball head works off the fluid premise for resistance, vs. the conventional friction method. The concept is very fundamentaly sound, but how does it perform in the real world vs. Arca and other popular ball heads?

<http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/templates/templates.php3?sectionid=434&itemid=2944>

TYIA

I have a 410 for some years with which I am quite happy. It could be lighter, as you say, but from what I have seen of ball heads they are difficult to use in keeping the movements completely separate. I have never used the latest Arca etc, and maybe they get around this somehow. I use my 410 exclusively with a Rollei SL 66 (a heavy beast) as it seems a bit underpowered and with some slop for use with a bigger camera. I would add I have and love a Majestic head, which does the same as the Manfrotto.

Parenthetically, I wouldlike to get it serviced (take out some of the accumulated play, but Bogen has not been helpful in suggesting a repair/service. Perhaps someone knows?

I have the smaller 410 head, as well, and have used it with 4x5 and a fairly light 8x10. While the head works nicely, I've been less than 100% happy with the quick-release plate. A large screwdriver (or a substitute) is needed to tighten the screw. I'm also considering adding a registration pin to prevent the camera from twisting when tilted to the side. But, most QR plates suffer from that problem, so the 410 isn't alone in that respect.

The 405 appears to be more robust, but has the same QR plate as the 410.

I "WAS" using a ball head with a Dorff 4x5/5x7 camera... switched to the 410 and haven't looked back since. My camera weighs approx. 7.5 pounds with either a 90F8, 150f5.6, or 210f5.6 lens mounted and, therefore, this head is able to handle it (5 kg max. conservatively.)

Much prefer the ability to make fine adjustments with the 410 versus a ball head.

I agree with you Ralph... there does tend to be a bit of shifting when tilted to the side.

Had thought about going to the model 405 but it was almost 3 times the cost (CDN$225 versus $600!). The only difference was that it supported 7.5 kg versus the 5.0 kg of the 410.

Grump... the head looks pretty well sealed. Therefore, personally speaking, I'd probably send the unit back to Bogen/Manfrotto for repairs. But then... I have to admit to being a clutz with respects to repairing these sorts of things! YMMV!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I just purchased the 405 about two months ago, for use with my Canon 1Ds. It really is one of the purchases I should've done long time ago. Previously the medium sized Foba ballhead I use never lets me have precision adjustment, and I don't think even the best RRS or Arca Swiss head would let you go as precise as the 405. The head is really solid on even the weirdest position, because when shooting 35mm we can use some really unconventional camera positions. The Foba ballhead I used is very lacking when it comes to using the camera in vertical positions (ballheads are never too good for this, thus requiring the use of L plates), but the 405 geared is really2 solid at this position.

I tried the 410, and while the lighter weight is desirable, I find the knobs too small for comfortable and precision work. Plus I don't think the 410 has water level on all three axis.

I also tested the biggest conventional 3 way head Manfrotto offers (227 pro or something like that), and while maximum supported load is larger than the 405, it still lacks the precision and ease of use of the 405 head.

I really should've bought the 405 a year ago when I first saw it.

Michael, thanks for the nice response.... the head sure looked nice....

Question, if you used a large flat bottom view camera, are the controls still accessable? Or is it too hard to get your fingers between the bottom of the camera and the knobs?

Also, what QR top did you get it with?

Beverly Hills, California

Any looseness in the 410 head can be tightened with a hench wrench, by taking off plastic 'degrees scales' on affetec aixs, tightening hex screw underneath....

Re: Bogen Pro Gear 405, 468MG ball head, any users?

I now own both the 405 and 410 head. The 405 head is much bigger than the 410 head, bigger than the pictures lead you to beleive.

The 410 head is good for the money, but it does have a little play in it. I will try Andres fix above. The 405 is rock solid. I have had an RSS lever Arca clamp permamently machined to the top of the 410 and will soon do the same to the 405. This combination makes for a wonderful head, highly reccomended. I had a spacer insierted to lift the RRS Arca clamp to create more finger room to work the controls.

Although when all is done, this turns out to be an expensive proposition, but considering how well it works, I am still happy. Too bad Bogen will not conform to the Arca dovetail plate system.... they probably don't realize how much biz they loose as a result, as many of us prefer the custom fitted RRS plates for each of our cameras, instead of a single generic plate that Manfrotto expects you to use for any and all applications....

I can post a picture if anyone is interested in seeing it....

Bill
    Last edited by bglick; 15-Nov-2006 at 23:01.

Hi Bill,

Since my original posting, I have now purchased a 405 head and sold off the smaller 410. You're right in that the 405 is absolutely rock solid.

Although I've used a Dorff 8x10 with the 410... it works much better mounted on the 405.

And, yes, if you post an image of your rig... that would be great!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Here is the 410 with the RRS plate afixed an inch above the old clamp platform. The head surface was grinded smooth before affixing the RRS clamp to the head, so it's rock solid.

Last edited by bglick; 16-Nov-2006 at 00:12.