Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wide Angle Lens Selection

Wide Angle Lens Selection

I had the same dilemma and resolved it by buying the Schneider 80mm XL, an excellent lens that's small and light with a 4.5 maximum aperture that makes it easier than usual to focus with a wide angle lens. While it's an expensive lens I figured it would serve the purpose of both a 90 and a 72 and it pretty much has, only very rarely have I wanted anything shorter.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

What Brian Ellis said.

Bruce Watson

I have the Nikkor 90 mm f/4.5 and it works fine on my 4x5 (I shoot mostly landscapes), but I have little in the way of movements due to the design of the camera, not the lens. I haven't used it in a while other than to exercise the shutter since most of my shooting is with my 8x10 these days. However, I am happy with the lens.

Wow; you don't know how utterly happy i am to receive such wealth of response and candor especially from one of my favorite people in the world whom i truly admired. While most of you have achieve world known status through book deals, editorial, exhibitions, photo essays, commercial fine arts, and work shops. I am in the other hand, have had no formal education in this field, but merely enjoy shooting purely for personal gratification. And for that i must say, i feel very privileged that you guys have taken the time to respond to my post.

At any rate, i have decided and went ahead and bought the Nikkor SW 90mm f4.5 mostly because i will predominantly shoot landscape and waterfalls, and i don't think i will shoot as many architectural scenes to warrant a much wider lens than the 90mm for now.

Kirk--i totally agree with you about the 90mm as probably the most often used lens than any other lens. I think i will not regret buying the 90mm for now. By the way, congratulation on your recent recognition as being the featured photographer in stockphotography.info.

CXC--i too agree that the SS110mmXL is an excellent performer. However, this is just my hobby, i can not afford to buy it at this time.

Gary--Thanks for your prompt rely; i understand the 72 is an extremly nice and sharp lens to shoot, but i don't quite see myself have the need for it yet at this time. I agree, one could never go wrong with a Schneider.

Henry--i would love to get the 110mm XL but i am in the middle of preparing for a trip to Vietnam this coming Monday for 3 months, mostly backpacking and photography. I guess i would have to think about it when i get back.

Kirk--to be honest, i only shoot architecture on numerous occasions. I first thought about the 72mm XL mostly for shooting waterfalls up close.

Ron--fast lenses are nice especially when shooting at low light; strange as it might seems, i've always stopped down to a smaller aperture for greater DOF. Hence, i guess in my case, it benefits me mostly during focusing in extremely low light condition.

Frank--i have never owned a Rodenstock lens; i understand this lens has a close resemblance to the Nikkor SW 90mm f4.5.

Brian--hmmm, why didn't i thought of that? I guess i will have to ask myself is it a need or a want? I think i will settle for the Nikkor SW 90mm for now due to limited budget. By the way, i hope the arctic breeze in hasn't dampen your spirit. I am too, from Seattle as well, but most likely will chase after the hot tropical breeze of Vietnam in a matter of days. I will definitely think of you while i am basking in the sunny beaches of Nha Trang.

Diane--thanks for confirming my decision with the Nikkor SW. I have always loved Schneider lens ever since my first exposure to large format, but after having shot with the Nikkor SW 90 f4.5 from a friend, it has changed my mind about Nikkor lenses in general.

By the way, does anyone know how to attach the sample photos here for everyone to see? Thanks!