Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: finding a tripod

finding a tripod

I am looking for a tripod and San Diego has a very limited selection. I would very much appreciate rcommendations. I presently have a Gitzo and a Majestic. I love the Majestic and the head, but it is often heavier than I would like. I mostly hate the Gitzo because of the twist locks. And the model I have has limited, fixed leg spread (it is older than some of you). The twist locks hurt my hands - I just returned from Bryce Canyon (below freezing) and especially in the cold twist locks are an abomination.

What I am looking for is a tripod that is appropriate for my Manfrotto geared head and a 3 to 6 pound camera. It should have locks on the legs that are like 'flip' locks, or a twist knob or some such. Also an elevator for fine height adjustment, and variable leg spread ability as does the Majestic.

All in all the tripod should weigh I suppose 4 to 6 pounds. Berlebach (from the pictures) looks nice but no elevator (how does anyone adjust camera height without an elevator?) so wood is not out of the question (in the cold it would be far superior to aluminum) .

I will most likely have to purchase by mail so looking at catalogs is all I can do - a trip to LA is possible but who knows what Samy will have at a given time. E-Bay would be best (where to look for tripods?)

This is too long a post, but on the other hand I think there must be many of you in similar straits - tripods don't seem to be reviewd and described much in the press (only the latest digital offerings) - and they aren't very exciting - no resolution numbers or MTF charts.

I know many of you have lots of experience with tripods and will be helpful. I am eagerly anticipating responses!

finding a tripod

You are lucky to be in an area that has some good full service stores with lots of tripods like Nelson's and George's as well as a Calumet nearby and a great telescope shop that stocks tripods in Oceanside.

have you visited all of them?

finding a tripod

Tripods are not terrifically difficult to locate in ePay. I would advise looking in the "Tripods" section under the "Cameras and Photo" heading. Currently there are 5,579 available.

Bogen, aka Manfrotto, makes reliable, reasonably priced tripods with the snap-locks that you prefer. Careful with those fingers, though, those things can pinch pretty hard.

finding a tripod

Grumpy,

I concur with CXC about locating one on &ba& and they can be had at pretty reasonable prices if you catch it right!

That said, I use a Manfrotto model 475 with a geared center shaft. It's made of aluminum but you can buy these leg-wraps for use in the winter climate. Mounted on it is a Manfrotto model 410 head that supports 5 kg and is geared... easy to use!

I've seen the 410 heads on &ba& for a little under US$180 but the legs seldom show up... and, when they do, they're fairly hot commodities!

You might consider taking a look at the carbon fibrer Manfrottos as well...

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

finding a tripod

I second the Manfrotto 475 as I have one now - legs will go down almost to ground level & can be adjusted individually but still maintaining struts back to the center post, has a geared center column & it has flip locks. Closest thing I've used in years to the older Bogen models where Lester Bogen would advertise that he wouldn't sell a tripod he couldn't sit on & of course the picture of him sitting on one. I bought a Bogen 3030a because of this ad ... This 475 model is the closest thing to it.

With that said - I used to have a Berlebach 7023 & 8043 - There are two-piece center columns available but I simply modified mine so as to have a short stub for low angle as well. The concept with non-geared center posts is that you are essentially using the legset to get you in the zone & if need be raise or lower the column a bit. Other concept is to go slightly higher than desired & then balance it all out by adjusting the top leg screws to the desired level. These are nice tripods & also recommend them as well.

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

finding a tripod

I have a few tripods..... The zone vi works great with the 8x10 but is way to heavy... it won't be going back into the field.
    My gitzo is too light for an 8x10 and is hard to open... it's an older one and the metal gets too cold in the winter.

My manfroto will hold the 8x10 but it's too cold in the winter... and the last two or three times I've used it pieces have been breaking off, the leg fell off three weeks ago after a piece broke. Now it was cold out but still.

I've just bought a Berlebach wood model. Haven't tried it yet but it looks fine for the 4x5 and isn't so heavy. Report 3042

-Rob Skeoch

finding a tripod

Actually many LF photographers prefer a tripod without the center column because of the increase in stability. I modified my Gitzo and removed the center column and replaced it with a Markins insert - the gain in stability is clearly noticeable. I agree that the twist lock on the Gitzo are a PITA especially in colder weather, but I put up with it because I think they are some of the best and lightest tripods out there. LF is all about compromises - isn't it:-)
    Juergen

finding a tripod

If you can find one, some of the Linhof tripods looks attractive - solid designs with flip locks.

finding a tripod

I currently use a Gitzo 1325, and it's the only tripod I own. Although the twist locks are a PITA, I love it and it's plenty stable for my 8x10 use. I only wish I could have the exact same tripod but with a different locking system. I actually had to use a pipe wrench the other day to get one of the twist locks open. I was so frustrated that I can't even begin to describe it. It took me about ten minutes to get it open, and I'm still not sure how it ever got so tight.
    Mike Boden

www.mikeboden.com
    Instagram: @mikebodenphoto

finding a tripod

Juergen,

Would you please write a little more about your Markins insert? What is it?