Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: finding a tripod

finding a tripod

" list price of $360.00"

Sorry, the new list is about $550.00 not $360.00.

finding a tripod

Frank:

A few more images on Linhof's site

http://linhof.de/german/index.html

Click on Zubehor & then Stative - has a few pics collapsed & extended

finding a tripod

Check the archives and you will find several earlier posts of mine on the Profi-Port II. I have now used it off and on for a number of months. During that period it has taken 2 plane trips where it got extensive use. In both instances I was using it with a Toyo AII. Fully opened with neither center column extended it is a bit short but it is rock solid. With only one center column extended it will get you up to most working heights you need and is still very solid. Using the second column to get up to the full 5+ feet of extension with a head it gets a bit top heavy but, ,IMO, no more so than any of the other tripods in its size/weight class but that is the tradeoff. I am happy with the tradeoffs here in that I never consider using it when I can carry a heavier 'pod. OTOH it is the only 'pod I have ever found that I can carryon inside a standard, airline approved 22" bag without going through lots of contortions and/or taking up way toomuch space in the bag.

Anybody that wants additional pictures and/or info send me a note offlist please.

finding a tripod

Bob Salomon mentioned the Linhof Twin-Shank Pro, which IMHO is one of the finest tripods ever made. Why do I say this? It is my belief that the weight to strength ratio is one of the best I have ever seen. I also have other makes of tripod, but the Twin-Shank Pro is the one I pack on a shoot, and why the others are left behind. I think so much of the Twin-Shank Pro, that I even have a 'spare'. They come up on Ebay regularly.

IMHO the finest Linhof tripod ever made is the De Luxe Studio Pro with elevator center column. The legs on this tripod are reinforced with inside outrigers, and because of this enique leg design and clamping system, the tripod legs can be extended into positions, and locked, in positions only a contortionist could appreciate. (Once, I had to shoot an auto ad up near Mt. Whitney and had to fix the legs of the tripod...one on the ground, and two against boulders on either side. The De Luxe Studio performed well. Any other tripod could not have done this.) Oh...another thing.
    The perfect head for the De Luxe Studio, is the Linhof De Luxe 3-Way Pan Tilt Head. Another amazing Linhof engineering product, with more 'surface area to lock' that 99% of any tripod ever build. The reason that Linhof heads and tripods are still bringing good prices, far after their time has come and gone....is simply that they are/were .....designed right and built rugged...and with precision.

finding a tripod

Many years ago I had a Linhof twin shank with a Linhof head. I attended an Ansel Adams workshop, leaned the tripod in the corner of my room where it fell over. The attachment for the head to the tripod broke and the whole thing was unusable. This on the second day of the workshop! Al Weber loaned me a steel Majestic (my memory is that it weighed at least 200 pounds). Anyway, that kind of soured me on Linhof tripods.

But I think, after reading all the above recommendations I'll have another look.Maybe things have improved in the last 40+ years!

Many thanks for all the information/suggestions.