Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pan and Tilt tripod head recommendations?

Pan and Tilt tripod head recommendations?

It seems silly to spend $400 for a 3.5# carbon fiber tripod and then put a 2# head on it, just to save a few ounces less than my ancient 6# Tiltall. I have several ball heads but for a view camera would prefer a traditional Pan and Tilt job. Any recommendation for a sturdy, LIGHT head with bubble levels? (My camera is a 2.5# 4x5 Nagaoka with very light Dagors).
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

> It seems silly to spend $400 for a 3.5# carbon fiber tripod and then put a 2# head on it, just to save a few ounces less than my ancient 6# Tiltall.

I think you summed it up pretty well - have you already bought the tripod? I decided that for a light weight tripod, it was hard to justify replacing my old Tiltall. I still use it when I do not want to carry around my 12# bogen. One of the factors was not being able to find a good p&t head that would not raise the weight of the combo too close to the tiltall.

The Gitzo Low Profile Heads, such as the G1570m. I saved some money by finding an older version used; these things are bombproof enough that there is little risk in buying a used one. I've been fully satisfied with the two that I've owned, and personally wouldn't bother considering anything else. I use the G1200 for my 8x10, even though it is the smallest model, intended only for 4x5. It has a nice big platform, maybe 3.5"x6". The 'm' on the end of certain model numbers stands for magnesium, said models being lighter and costlier.

If one insists upon a quick release, there may be better solutions. I tilt the head forward about 60 degrees, so I can see the hole in the camera, held by the handle in the left hand, as well as the screw in the head, turned with the right hand. This way I can get the 8x10 on in a reasonably small number of seconds (<20). I imagine there are other camera designs would be more awkward to mount, e.g. many monorails. I use a Wehman.

Well, a 2lb head on a 3.5lb tripod makes 5.5lbs. A 2lb head on a 6lb tripod is 8lbs. So, that $400 saves 2.5 lbs which is the whole weight of your camera.

> A 2lb head on a 6lb tripod is 8lbs.

The Tiltall WITH head is 6#. So $400 saves you 0.5# - about one big mac.:-)

May want to check this Bogen/Manfrotto head out - I have one & the handles are angled downward a bit which helps give you more working room.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=253613&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Ever learning, ever growing. Mark Carstens's Avatar

A second on the Bogen / Manfrotto 329RC4 Low Profile 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head with Quick Release. Easy to maneuver and adjust. Easy on the wallet too.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett

Lee I have that same tripod head. I bought mine used for a great price. Next time I'll save for the 410 geared head for less than $200 new.

Dave Karp

Don't laugh. Check out the Manfrotto 3028. It is light, cheap (under $30), and works great. No levels though.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=5261&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

I've been happy with the Bogen 3047.
    Brian Vuillemenot