Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAQ/Guidelines refined

FAQ/Guidelines refined

The Large Format Photogarphy Forum has a long tradition (measured in Internet time) of being one of the most helpful, civil and respectful photography forums on the Net. However, after the recent spate of flame wars in various threads (and the resulting e-mails), the moderator group examined the question of whether our guidelines, and our level of moderation, were in need of change or refinement. After considerable discussion, I'd characterize our conclusions as reinforcing the fundamental philosophy that has served this forum well over the years. To express that philosophy with greater clarity, we've made a few refinements to the guidelines/FAQ page. We've also become a bit more proactive at enforcing the guidelines, while trying not to become overly intrusive or oppressive as might be experienced on some other forums.

The full guidelines/FAQ page can be viewed at this link, but here's a summary of the sections that have changed:

This forum is a great resource to the LF community, and it is the participants here who make it so. We moderators appreciate the level and quality of participation, and just do a little janitorial work when needed.

FAQ/Guidelines refined

That all looks pretty positive. There is one area though that I might get into trouble. That would be annoucing my book publications, which I will have a couple more in the next couple of years. That is not really any different than a gallery opening where prints are for sale. Is it?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

FAQ/Guidelines refined

Book publication announcements, if done properly, would fall into the same sort of category as gallery openings or article references, I think. (Such things as including point of sale links would likely push the announcement beyond the spirit of the guidelines.)

FAQ/Guidelines refined

hmm - think I just violated your newly refined commercial postings bit... oh well
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

FAQ/Guidelines refined

Book announcements fall into the general category of education, which is something we wanted to emphasize with the announcements.

While we all worked on these guidelines, Ralph took the initiative to write the rough draft, facilitated the updates, and completed the final draft. Hopefully, our adherence to these guidelines will address some of the problems we've had in the recent past.

FAQ/Guidelines refined

I don't see anything I can't live with. Thanks to all who worked on this.

FAQ/Guidelines refined

Helping an excellent forum stay that way. Thanks gents!

FAQ/Guidelines refined

Thanks for all the work you guys put into this.

The problem with rules is that they are by nature black and white and the real world is only shades of gray (or maybe "digital" and "analog", but I don't want to go there).

Most of us are willing to live with the spirit of the rules.....I have no problem with learning about Kirk's books, and I'm sure there's other stuff that's slightly commercial but still OK. Truly, we ought to be proud if "one of our own" publishes a book.

Similarly, there's a boundary between strong opinions and being a loudmouth boor. Unfortunately, it's usually the loudmouth boors that don't get it!

My students sometimes try to chip away at class policies, trying to find that crack in the rules that will let them get away with not having done their homework. I then remind them that this is not a democracy, I'm in charge, and that being a "little lawyer" will not enhance their standing. Draconian, but it usually works.

When one of the loudmouth boors says, "What happened to free speech?", the correct answer is , "Why, nothing.....go start your own forum".

Thanks again!

FAQ/Guidelines refined

I think the most fun way to run a forum is to have people put up a deposit and then let the mods assign fines for troublemakers. It would make the mods job a lot more fun and hurt the offenders in the pocketbook.

There is little real enforcement possible with this forum software as it is so easy to spoof with fake emails and changing IP addresses. So posting new and refined rules, no matter how carefully worded, is a moot point. Assholes will be assholes.

FAQ/Guidelines refined

Ralph and Neil, etc. Thank you for all the work that you are doing to keep this forum on target. I like to learn of new books, workshops and openings. Strong opinions on gear, lab work, art vs. craft and yes, even traditional vs. digital has it's place. Moronic innuendos of ones politics are not needed. Nor are vile personal attacks.