Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: lens mystery...

lens mystery...

Sounds like the lens cell spacing changed when you mounted it on the Cambo...
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

lens mystery...

Ron, that is exactly the problem!

lens mystery...

Percy, that sounds odd. Either the camera or the lens has got to be mis-assembled. If we knew how far from the lens the image is actually forming, or how far apart your lens board and ground glass are, we could maybe guess which.

lens mystery...

Is it possible that the bellows is so old that it won't fold closely enough to allow for the 127 to focus - does it compress completely? I've seen bellows that just couldn't compress enough to focus a short lens (not that a 127 for 4x5 is that short!) Do you have any other lenses you could try on that camera? This is a weird problem.
    Juergen

lens mystery...

Which model of camera are you using? If this is a new-to-you camera, perhaps someone turned the standards the wrong way. On later model Calumets (the ones which use 6 inch+ square lensboards) the standards can be turned around, since the bellows, lensboards and back all attach exactly the same way. The standards can be set to allow minimum bellows, or turned the other way to get the most extension out of a short rail. If both standards are turned so they are away from the bellows, it looks they might be too far apart to focus a short lens.

lens mystery...

Is the lens sitting behind the uprights at the front? If not, take bellows loose, lensboard out, and rotate the standard 180 degrees so it's an inny instead of an outy. Did you forget to put the rear group back in after you mounted it on the Cambo board? Probably not as the Ektar rear group doesn't really need to come out to switch it.

Dave Karp

lens mystery...

Is this a Cambo SC or Calumet 45N, 45NX, or 45NX-II?

If so, then to focus the 127mm you probably need to place the tripod mounting block either in front of or behind both standards. This lets the standards get as close together as is possible. If I remember correctly, the block prevents the standards from getting close enough together to render a sharp image. This is certainly true of a 90mm, even with a recessed board.

Dave Karp

lens mystery...

By the way, I found that a bag bellows was preferable to the standard bellows when working with my Fuji 125mm on my older Cambo, even though it was not necessary to focus the camera. It was just that the bellows was too tightly compressed for much movement. This may not be a problem if the 127 Ektar does not have a lot of room for movement.

lens mystery...

Percy, with the adaptor board you may need a bag bellows. On my Sinar F1 I can't focus my 110mm (on an adaptor board) using the standard bellows. Your lens is longer, but your bellows or adaptor board may be thicker than mine. Keep watch on ebay, I've seen a few bag bellows going cheaply.

lens mystery...

Thank you all for your responses thusfar. I don't know what model of Cambo the camera is ; it is not labelled. ( I have looked).
    Jim, yes, it has 6 inch plus square lensboards.
    Jim and Alan, thank you, I will try to implement your suggestions this evening.