Thread: Attaching a filter to Caltar II-N 210mm lens

Attaching a filter to Caltar II-N 210mm lens

I purchased a B+W F-Pro series 67mm UV Haze MRC 010 to protect my Caltar II-N 210 lens. (I also purchased a center-press lens cap and collapsible hood, so all three could be used together.) To my surprise, I noticed the curvature of the lens would prevent the filter from being screwed on without coming into direct contact with the lens glass itself.

I have this type of filter on my other LF lenses when I photograph on busy streets/sidewalks, and need to protect the glass from various hazards ~ people's hands, falling objects, etc. I realize there are many people who don't cover their lenses for protection, and I get the reasons for that. For this post, please, I'd appreciate help from people who may have this lens or similar and do use a protective lens, thank you!

Questions, please:

* What would a workaround be to allow me to place a filter over this lens? Would a step-ring add sufficient depth for the filter to clear the lens? Do step-rings come in various depths as well as diameter?

* Is it unnecessary to attach a collapsible hood to lessen flare on a "portrait" lens like a 210mm?

* Or, would using a hood instead of a filter provide sufficient protection?

Any other suggestions would also be much appreciated! Thanks to all in advance!

Re: Attaching a filter to Caltar II-N 210mm lens

I checked with a B+W filter 040 on a 210 Sinaron-S and there seems to be clearance, albeit not much. I backed off the filter mounting ring just enough so the filter element would rattle slightly, and then mounted the filter on the lens. It still rattled slightly even though the filter body was firmly mounted on the lens.

I believe our lenses are both rebadged Sironar-N's. You should be alright.

Hello from France!

Would a step-ring add sufficient depth for the filter to clear the lens? Do step-rings come in various depths as well as diameter?

I faced this problem once in the past and solved it by using an empty filter ring, i.e. a "non-step" step-up ring
    Mine came from SRB Photographic in the UK but could certainly be found from many vendors.
    M67x0.75 empty filter mount or "fixed spacer ring"

Those sold by SRB photographic are offered in one thickness only (the standard thickness of their filter mounts), but for a 210 mm lens which is not a wide-angle lens (at least with respect to what is called a wide-angle lens in LF photography), you should not get any vignetting even if the additional filter spacing is 4 mm.

Hope this helps,
    --
    E. Bigler

Small town, South Carolina, US

I have in the past, knocked the glass out of an old, unused filter same diameter to make a spacer.

You could use a collapsible lens hood (not a bad idea anyway for any lens) and screw your protective filter onto that if you think you need it.

I have a mid-1980s set of lenses:

Nikkor 90mm f/8
    Fuji 50mm f/5.6
    Caltar II N 210mm f/5.6

Each has a UV filter mounted directly to the lens' front ing. Over that, all have step-up rings to get to a uniform 72mm filter size. All have a 72mm snap-on front lens cap. This works well to keep the front glass protected from contact with . . .anything . . .when shooting out doors. It also allows me to use one set of 72mm B&W filters ior a set of 72mm diopters
    interchangeably on all of them. The slight set-back from the step-up rings provides some lens shading. If I want to uncover the front elements for dome reason while shooting, it all just unscrews from the front lens ring.

If there is a serious need to shade the lens, I use the drawn dark slide or my hat to cast as shadow on it as I trip the shutter.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!