Thread: Anyone Using - Quantum Free X Wire Units?

Anyone Using - Quantum Free X Wire Units?

I am thinking of upgrading from passive optical slave triggers to a pair of radio units. I have Pair Quantum Q flash units - is there any reason to not consider going into a pair of Quantum Free X Wire. Reliablility, ease of use, false triggers, or other concerns from current users would be appreciated before committing cash. Also, there is a current $50 rebate on FW9T & FW8R - but not on FW10 - that I would factor into the decision.

Hi R,

I've been pretty happy with the Pocket Wizard Plus units, both at work and for my own use on Speedotron packs.
    At work they're used to trigger Sunpak strobes to light sports like a basketball in a gym, etc.
    Their triggering has been quite reliable. If possible get the miniplug synch cords from Paramount.
    They seem to be of a higher quality.

Brian

I have beat the c--p out of my pocketwizard plus units over the past 6-7 years. And they have always come back for more.

Great units, good battery life, reasonable prices.

Try the PDN and Galbraith forums, they have more strobe users.

Radio slaves in general are so much more reliable than optical triggers. I have old school Quantums (ten plus years old) that work great and have travelled a lot.

We used a Quantum trigger for a while but found that in certain situations they wouldn't work. We work a lot in office spaces and often the Quantum would get confused presumably due to all kinds of other wireless devices in use in the general area, like communications and security systems. Also, the build quality of the Quantum seems cheap and the form factor is terrible.

Now we use a Pocket Wizard and there has not been a problem. We keep the old Quantum hooked up to the strobes in the studio and it works fine there but we would never take it out on location again. Also, several strobe companies now offer Pocket Wizard receivers built into their power packs. Also I have heard good things about the Micro Sync system.