Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: cheap 8x10 field camera?

cheap 8x10 field camera?

I use a Tachihara 8x10 camera that weighs 9 pounds (+-) and with the 3 lenses I use along with it probably weighs 12 pounds or so in its f64 backpack. I had to strap it on and climb up a painter's scaffold a while back and it wasn't too heavy for that.

(I also own a Tachihara 5x7 and also believe it's one of the best film formats available today.)

Best regards,
    Randy

cheap 8x10 field camera?

Emre,

5x7 transparency film can be readily had from Jeff at Badger Graphics... so, you don't need to order from Japan. I bought Provia from them and I believe Velvia is also available.

Not sure about Astia though...

Jeff shipped mine without ANY problems whatsoever...

And, yes, 5x7 is a wonderful format to use.

When I first considered a 5x7/4x5 Dorff (which I now have).... I also had concerns about film availability and processing. But, it's not been an issue at all. Just go for it!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

cheap 8x10 field camera?

For that money, I second Peters recommendation. A deardorff with no front swings. It does have front tilt. I use a V-8, and sometimes using back tilt changes the perspective in a negative way. You could get a "driver", not beat up, or a shelf queen for that money. I've never heard of anybody complaining about their Dorff. The stability is well worth the extra weight.

cheap 8x10 field camera?

I shoot mostly color and I also switched from 4x5 &8x10 to 5x7. Haven't tried 13x18cm yet like Ted Harris, but so far I'm doing ok with Provia & 160NC. It's such a pleasure to shoot with the aspect ratio that I like. Another vote for the 5x7 Tachihara - 8.5lbs, and although it costs almost the same as an 8x10 ($1295 @ Midwest or Badger), it's smaller, lighter (I think the 8x10s are about 11lbs). Of course, it's carrying the 5x7 film holders that's much easier than the equivalent # of 8x10 holders. New Tachs are very rigid - their recent design has added washers in some places so that everything locks up nice and tight and the woodworking is xlnt. Easy to fold and unfold.

cheap 8x10 field camera?

Selam Emre,

I myself use a double extension 8x10 Tachihara which i love alot.. I would have bought the tripple extension if i had the funds, but i am extremely happy with the one i have.

Before this camera i had a 100 year old Rochester Carlton, which i bought from equinox photography of Oregon.
    They have some interesting items for sale.. Just past october there was a camera show in vancouver and they had their stand there again and i bought 4 8x10 film holders and some shutters. They are great people. They also had an 8x10 Deardorff which i think was going for $800.

www.equinoxphotographic.com

If you want to come out here and try out the tachihara, yo uare more than welcomed to.

I bought the Tachi from Adorama btw..

cheap 8x10 field camera?

Deniz - now I feel stupid. They're right here in town and I didn't even know about it. I asked my photolab here if there was any place that dealt with LF type stuff, and they told me "you might have better luck in Portland".

In any case, I'm probably going to hold up on the 8x10 for a few more months until I finish buying all the lenses I want for my 4x5 gear. After doing much research on the subject, I realized how expensive the switch to 8x10 really would be. I will definitely buy a Tachihara though. The weight and dimensions seem to be perfect. I'm still planning on coming up there sometime in the late spring or summer. I'll stay in contact with you.