Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coverage of Schneider Super-Symmar 110mm f5.6 XL at full aperture

Re: Coverage of Schneider Super-Symmar 110mm f5.6 XL at full aperture

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    If you'd read the charts that Prof. (retired) Dr. Bigler, who I greet in passing, directed you to in post #2 above, you'd have seen that with the lens unshifted at f/5.6 at infinity the corners of 4x5 are around 1.1 stop down from the center. This is consistent with cos^4. In other words, with this lens mechanical vignetting is not a problem.
    I find your lecturing tone somewhat unfortunate. In the post of mine you quote I asked about *resolution* in the corners following Martin's statement (nothing to do with vignetting then) and explained why I started the thread in the first place in spite of owning the lens. What made you assume that I had not read the charts escapes me.

Anyway, I did read the charts and there is an illumination of about 30% at the corners @f/5.6 that makes it closer to two stops. But charts shall be read with the characteristics of the subject being photographed in mind, like this shot of the Golden Gate where the corners are dark and uninteresting enough that a 110mm XL can be used on an 8x10 (Ektachrome 100). So, I would like to hear also re: field experience shooting this lens @ f/5.6. Martin, for instance, is raising an interesting issue re: resolution at the corners.

And, to avoid any further unpleasantness, yes, I have read the MTF charts

Regards

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Small_Golden_Gate.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	216001

Quote Originally Posted by Marco Annaratone View Post
    I find your lecturing tone somewhat unfortunate. In the post of mine you quote I asked about *resolution* in the corners following Martin's statement (nothing to do with vignetting then) and explained why I started the thread in the first place in spite of owning the lens. What made you assume that I had not read the charts escapes me.

Anyway, I did read the charts and there is an illumination of about 30% at the corners @f/5.6 that makes it closer to two stops. But charts shall be read with the characteristics of the subject being photographed in mind, like this shot of the Golden Gate where the corners are dark and uninteresting enough that a 110mm XL can be used on an 8x10 (Ektachrome 100). So, I would like to hear also re: field experience shooting this lens @ f/5.6. Martin, for instance, is raising an interesting issue re: resolution at the corners.

And, to avoid any further unpleasantness, yes, I have read the MTF charts

Regards

Name:	Small_Golden_Gate.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	216001
    you misread the illumination chart. you wanted to know illumination at 4x5's corners, you looked at illumination at the limit of coverage, which is well outside of the 4x5 frame.

If the image goal is wide angle 4x5 at full aperture, one more suitable lens would be something like a 90mm f4.5 Biogon type wide angle (Zeiss Biogon for Linhof). These were optimized for good performance at full aperture. See the US military spec sheet for a biogon type made by Pacific Optical (essentially same as Zeiss Biogon) used for aero-recon.

Name:	Aero Paxar_001.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	216008

Name:	Aero Paxar_002.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	216009

The 110mm f5.6 SSXL is optimized for f16 and smaller taking apertures and might not meet your 4x5 image making needs at f5.6, regardless of light fall off and related.

Bernice