I recently bought a new Toyo 4x5 and some extras. My dilema is wether to pump the money into building a complete system, considering the following concerns, or just dump the 4x5 format altogether and get a medium format system and continue busting my balls packing my 8x10 around for the large format work.

1) Currently I'm not able to print conventionally where I live even if I could afford a quality 4x5 enlarger and all that is needed. 2) I hear there are no affordable dedicated 4x5 film scanners on a par with the ones for roll film, such as the Nikon 9000. 3) If I go with a roll-film back in the toyo, I probably wouldn't get the same sharpness as from a medium format system. 4) The angle of view from a typical collection of 4x5 lenses would wind up being telephoto lenses with a roll-film back unless I selected super-wide lenes and the toyo doesn't accept bag bellows. 5) 4x5 negs are a bit small for contact printing.

Given these conditions and my perceptions, it seems that perspective control is the only real advantage of continuing with the 4x5.

I'm sure others have faced this decision...am I missing some options or merits of the 4x5 given the fact that I can't afford a drum scanner or use a 4x5 enlarger where I live? Should I continue to print 8x10 contacts but be limited to shooting close to a car and bag the 4x5 idea?

I guess in the end it all comes down to money...which I don't have much of, so I could benefit from opinions rather than regrets.

Thanks for any help!
Robert