Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Darkroom Sink

Darkroom Sink

I am doing my own darkroom and my wife wife is not happy but at the end it came down to sink construction.

I am probably to build one, because I live in Ontario, Canada and ... there is not too much sinks available on market or they are expensice or they are mostly Ebay from western USA.

If you know good sink substitution I can buy or look after, I would be happy to hear from you.
    Also, if I decide to build one, what material I should consider (plastic) and what glue? I am sure at least one of us build one.

Any suggestions regarding sink would be appeciated, like size, height, how to divide it.
    I can make it long as needed, my wet space is 10 feet long. I do 4x10 and 8x10 contact prints, printed on azo, and on Ilfochromes, with option to go to 10x20 in future. I use Pyrocat-HD developer. In the future I would consider platinum-palladium printing.

Thank for suggestions.
    Live long and prosper LF.

Old School Wayne

Darkroom Sink

I built an L shaped sink out of 1/2 or 5/8 inch plywood and sealed in chemical-resistant swimming pool paint. Mine is quite crude and simple but functional and has withstood intermittant use for 7 years-I'm sure someone will have have more refined ideas, but mine probably cost me $50. Probably another 50-100 for the homemade plumbing/mixing apparatus.

Darkroom Sink

Hi Peter. I built my own sink six years ago out of 3/4 plywood, coated with a material used in boat repair that is painted on and forms a permanent, chemical resistent and water-proof surface. The coating is called Coal Tar Epoxy. I got it at a boat repair shop. It is amazing, and easy to apply (just roll it on like paint). I've moved the sink a few times and it is very durable (like a boat) and resists cracking from stress or flexing.

I got the plans out of a book called "Build Your Own Home Darkroom" by Lista Duren and Will McDonald. It's a great resource. I just modified their ideas to fit my needs. I made my sink 8 feet long and deep enought to process 20x24 prints. But with this method you can make it any size you need. I use mine for film and print processing.

Darkroom Sink

I acquired a stainless steel sink at a time when I contemplated 8x10 as my largest shooting format. Long since blown by that criteria. Given an opportunity to regress back to this decision point there is no question that I would build a wooden sink with flat wooden slats (or the modern decking material made from plastic and fiber) over the top and a sloped bottom to the drain using fiberglass over the wood to cover the bottom. I would make it large enough to accomodate 20x24" trays in either orientation. Under the sink I would install openings to accept various trays. Put several shut off valves of the highest quality in your water lines to isolate filtration or temprature controls and make sure that you can gain quick access to your floor drain. Always turn off yout water lines if you are going to be out of town or in the field shooting for periods of time. I had a water valve go out on me a while back and I was blessed to be home when it happened. A lesson learned.

Lastly, I recommend that you purposefully overdesign your air exhaust system to keep things fresh and pleasant in the darkroom. My next darkroom will have a metal hood, large wooden sinks and the tallest ceilings I can get.

Cheers and good luck with your project!

Darkroom Sink

Hey Peter: Check out West System Epoxy. Small kits are available at Lee Valley and Noah's in Toronto (they Mail order). It will all make sense after you read the West System guide in combination witha 5/8 to 3/4" plywood substrate. This is how we build boats and an E-6 dip and dung line I built 25 years ago could only be disassembled with a 15 lb sledge hammer. E-mail me your phone # and I'll give you the low down. You are going to build a custom made plywood-epoxy boat. Cheers from Lunenburg,N.S. -N.

Darkroom Sink

Peter, call your local newspaper. Since most have gone digital, many have darkrooms to dispose of. My local paper was thrilled that I took away two rooms full of darkroom equipment. Much of it Kreonite, matter of fact I have TWO sinks, with filtration, temperature controlled water jacket, and even eyewash stations. All the publisher wanted was a nominal check made out to his favorite charity - Newspapers in Education. It was a Win/Win all around.

Darkroom Sink

I second the suggestion of West System Epoxy. I built my sink of 3/4" plywood about 16 years ago and coated it with West Systems. It is still good.

Since that time I have had two friends build a similar sink with which they are very happy.

Darkroom Sink

The plywood form is a good idea. I am going to try the spray on bed liner for pickup trucks.

Darkroom Sink

> I am going to try the spray on bed liner for pickup trucks.

Unless you can find some designed for plywood pickup trucks, you might rethink this. There are lots of coatings that do great on metal but fail on wood.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Darkroom Sink

if you're near a big city, it might be worth looking at used sinks at a restaurant supply store. what you'd actually want is a salad bar, or something similar ... restaurant kitchen sinks are the wrong shape. sometimes you can get a great deal on a piece from a restaurant that's remodeled or gone out of business.